• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mutt

fallen

I just started my mutt for the first time today. The alt. Was not hooked up. The alt. Over heated and started smoking after about 30the seconds. It turned fine when I put it on. Does anyone have any idea what may have happened?

Last edited:

vtdeucedriver

Sounds like something is wired backwards. If power is going at the wrong end, it can essentially become a electric motor.

poppop

You said the alternater was not hooked up?? If it didnot have any wires hooked to it then I don't think it would charge at all. If that is true then it is not an electrical problem. I have had problems with farm equipment where vibration broke the output wire after the alt was excited and that caused an overcharge which burned up the alt.

fallen

The mutt had a generator on it before. I just put the alt. on it it. I picked up one of the wiring kits to change over from gen to alt. The alt. was bolted on but no wires were hooked up. The alt. spun freely when i put it on. It also spun freely when i took it off, after it started smoking. The entire Alt. got really hot. I thought it was going to catch fire. It also never made any noise. As my luck would have it the new water pump, i just put on, started leaking as well. There were no wires hooked up to the alt. when it started smoking. The conversion kit I got to swap over from gen to alt has 1 wire taped to it that does not obviuosly go to anything. Does anyone have experience with these kits that can tell me where that wire goes. The directions are for an M35 and dont show where to hook the wire up to. Thanks

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks