• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MV Ham Radio Equipment Pic thread?

ke5eua

I picked one of these up to handle intercom and radio chores.http://www.ps-engineering.com/pma5000ex.shtml
while a bit spendy it give me the ability to connect multiple radios for receive/transmit through the headsets as well as integral stereo intercom and cell phone interface, plus I can connect my music into it and have full stereo. There are modules available that allow you to connect it to just about any R/T out there.

Building a comm console right now for my gear, will post pics once completed.
I think I had a mini heart attack when I saw the price. I could buy a new rig instead, lol

I'm debating on how I am going to integrate radios, cell phone, and stereo radio into a headset. Might use an aircraft system, my grandmother works at an aircraft parts place so I will see what I can come up with.

Would love to use my CVC with it, but then I would have to go all out military gear.

Aerialfred

I am in the process of mounting an RT-246 in my deuce under the passenger seat. Trying to stay as near original equipment as I can. There are holes under there with nuts on the bottom of the floor plate, but they are spaced out a little farther than the radio mount. I am making an adapter plate to use those holes, and use my radio mount.

plode

I took apart an AS-3900 base and removed the tuning circuitry, and soldered wires directly from the bottom BNC connector to the top SO-239(if that's what you call it). Checked the SWR with a friends MFJ antenna analyzer and it's below 1.5:1 probably around 1.2 or 1.3:1 on VHF. It's more around 1.5:1 for UHF(440). I checked it with a few local repeaters, came in crystal clear, the same as my vertical on my tower.
Down on HF, it's excellent on 10-20 meters, surprisingly. I listened into a bunch QSO's from all over the U.S. on 20...even with the antenna just leaning up against a fence around my pool. I didn't try calling anyone.

...just in case anyone wanted to know if it would work.

ke5eua

I took apart an AS-3900 base and removed the tuning circuitry, and soldered wires directly from the bottom BNC connector to the top SO-239(if that's what you call it). Checked the SWR with a friends MFJ antenna analyzer and it's below 1.5:1 probably around 1.2 or 1.3:1 on VHF. It's more around 1.5:1 for UHF(440). I checked it with a few local repeaters, came in crystal clear, the same as my vertical on my tower.
Down on HF, it's excellent on 10-20 meters, surprisingly. I listened into a bunch QSO's from all over the U.S. on 20...even with the antenna just leaning up against a fence around my pool. I didn't try calling anyone.

...just in case anyone wanted to know if it would work.
The antenna is around 8 feet so it won't tune very well on anything outside 10-12 meters. VHF is finicky, you can use a 6 meter antenna on 2 meters no problem, UHF don't count on it.

I love my MFJ-269 and it's about to go to MFJ for some repairs after 8 1/2 years of faithful service. I tuned a ham stick with it, hooked it up to the 857 and the swr meter on the 857 went high. Since then I couldn't trust it. Actually looking at getting a vna so I can test the entire band at once.

I have actually worked 20 meters on a stock antenna on my contact truck at NTC.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks