• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MV Noob here. Life long dream come true!

mecharedneck

I brought home an M37 yesterday. Got a great deal on a machine in great shape. My Dad collected military vehicles when I was little. I remember playing on the jeeps, riding in the ambulance, and being very angry at my Mom when I heard that she stopped him from buying a tank. (It's still a bit of a sore spot.) I've been known to bore my friends with MV talk and I keep a stack of pictures from the Littlefield museum on my desk.

I work at a newspaper. I was processing the classifieds when the words "M37 for sale" jumped off the screen and grabbed me by the eyeballs. The deal was unbelievable and before publishing it, I went out to look at the broken down rust bucket that was surely soon to be limping into my driveway. Now, I need to make something clear here. I've been riding the bus and working on what should be my daily driver for about a year now. I am not a good mechanic, and I don't have much money, but I just couldn't pass this up. I had to at least look at it right?

Here's the truck. Pics taken on my way home. I'll explain more in a minute.

mecharedneck

I got really, really excited and got my boss to drop everything and drive me up to see the truck. We had to go a little out of town, into a remote canyon on a dirt road. As we got nearer to the place, there were old rusting tractors, various broken mining equipment, an old singlewide with the windows busted out, things weren't looking good. Round the corner and up the hill, next to a nice modular, was a great looking m37. Not original, no restoration efforts, just a well taken care of wood truck.

The owner came out to greet us and showed me around the truck while his chickens milled about underfoot. He was super nice, and talked all about how he's used it over the years. He didn't seem to know much about military vehicles, it was just a good 4x4 that he had to get rid of. We went for a test drive. Surprise! No brakes! Down hill! It was all good using the low gears and the hand brake though, and after a harrowing and exciting test drive I knew I had to have it. I talked him down from the ridiculously low price he was asking to one I still couldn't afford, and persuaded my boss to lend me the difference.

The next week, my Dad was going to swing by as he was taking a trip to the desert only about 100 mi. away and he'd be here to say happy birthday. Awesome, I could show off my truck! The weather sucked, I didn't go get the truck, his trip was canceled. He decided to come up anyway and we went to get it together.

The seller in the mean time had worked on the brakes a little, and when we got there to pick it up it was warmed up and ready to go. He gave me a few little tips and my Dad helped me get the shift pattern and the basic feel. Off we went, my Dad following in his truck down the dirt back roads for the 20 mi. trip home. On the way we had to go through some deep puddles and some washouts and had a great time 4 wheeling it home. I was so glad to have an experienced MV owner there to pull up beside me and answer questions and offer tips on what was at times a difficult and thrilling ride home.

The machine is hard to start, needs the master cylinder replaced, the tires are shot (chunks were coming off as I drove home), but I am unspeakably pleased at my great fortune. The enthusiasm has even infected my daughter who has been going around singing the "Army Truck" song (to the tune of "Spider Pig").

Here are some more pics.

Attachments

m376x6

Congratulations. These are such fun trucks. If you need help or assistance such as a schematic or some procedure from a manual let us know. I forget who it is or was, but they have the manuals on CD for sale. Right around 20 bucks as I recall. If you need either the early series or B1 series wiring diagram I can scan it and email it to you. Thanks for the story, it's always good to hear of someone bringing home their new treasure.

good score, and welcome to the support group... Im Ryan, and Im an O.D. addict... btw, thats my kinda M.V., solid enough to go have fun in, but far enough from original condition to go have fun in !![thumbzup] thats how my 67 M37 is, although yours appears to be in better shape(gotta love the desert for preserving sheetmetal !). i got mine cheap to build into an offroad toy, but ive wanted an M37 since long before i could legally drive... only took until i was 34 to find the right deal... but better late than never ! good luck with it, and keep us posted on your progress and adventures in it.

mecharedneck

Thanks everyone, I'm really excited. You may have noticed, in the background of one of those pics is my regular vehicle, a Samurai with no doors painted with the pre-nato M151 pattern. Yes, I do have the fever bad. I'm afraid it's chronic.

To 6x6, I've been lurking for about a week now, and I've seen how helpful you all are. I can't wait to start bothering y'all with a bunch of stupid questions! This is supposed to be a 1951 M37, but the data plate says it's an M43. I think the glove box door got swapped at some point. I haven't looked at the # on the frame yet.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks