• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MV Title from AZ has Error, Needs Correction - Help Please

ldmack3

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm trying to buy an out of state 1971 deuce that has the wrong year on the title due to a DMV error from 2 years ago. Title says 2005 because they used the wrong chart for reading the VIN.
Does anyone know how to get this fixed? My state says they can only go by the title presented.
Help!

Last edited by a moderator:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In what state is this prospective purchase currently titled?
Is the SELLER willing to get the Title corrected PRIOR to you purchasing the vehicle? If not, then he should be giving you a price that is commensurate with NOT having a CLEAN TITLE. Basically he is sweeping off HIS dirty title problem onto you.

Hopefully, once the current titling state is known to us, there will be SS Members from that state chiming in with knowledgeable insight as to how to work this out.

ldmack3

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I received some advice on how to correct the year on the title. Get an affidavit from a dealer and go to the dealer investigator for my area here in Idaho.
Spoke to the dealer investigator. He has addressed this before and there is nothing he can do. Apparently when vehicles go through depot and is overhauled they give them a new 17 digit VIN that changes the year of manufacture to what ever year it is. In this case it went from a 1971 to a 2005.

Anyone else run into this? Know a resolve? I want to get my new title and tags but not yet if I can fix this first.

ldmack3

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just learned this untrue. Apparently, dealer investigators and just as ignorant and lazy as some DOT people.

Thanks to a post from @CARNAC I now understand my VIN. But is probably too late to correct.

Anyone else have a similar issue please let me know.

DUUANE

Here in Canada I've dealt with this a few times. You do your research as to the decoding of your vin by the manufacturer's data. Print it out including any weblinks.. Take it over to the local autoplan (insurance agents). have them call up the provincial licensing body (ICBC) and state the issue. Usually they will go over your info and cross check it to the ICBC database and they will make the changes. Occasionally if you get a rookie agent they will want to sight the VIN on the vehicle, but i can usually talk them out of that. ( do you REALLY want me to plug your parking lot with a tandem wrecker with a 3 axle truck on the hook and jam traffic for 10 city blocks in all directions? I didnt think so..) bingo bango..you're done.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would call the Arizona DOT yourself and explain the situation. Find out what is involved for the current owner to have the title corrected. I've had two similar problems in the past in Georgia and the state readily corrected the problem when I showed them proof of the error. Once was for the manufacturers name on a deuce and the other for a VIN error. Actually, I shouldn't say VIN, the deuce has a serial number. Zeros are added to the front of the serial number to create 17 digits.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I would call the Arizona DOT yourself and explain the situation. Find out what is involved for the current owner to have the title corrected. I've had two similar problems in the past in Georgia and the state readily corrected the problem when I showed them proof of the error. Once was for the manufacturers name on a deuce and the other for a VIN error. Actually, I shouldn't say VIN, the deuce has a serial number. Zeros are added to the front of the serial number to create 17 digits.
Be really careful with adding (padding) zeros on any kind of title work. What happens is that the insurance company doesn't pad the serial - and then you find yourself UNINSURED.

Several folks here have gotten notices from the DMV claiming folks didn't have insurance. It gets ugly in a hurry...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks