• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MVM and the M880 Issue 116 August 2006

TacticalTruck

Hey Bjorn, Bjorn who? :lol: We've met. I'd rather not use my last name, the local zoning official loves to Google me plus people love to make fun of it.....Seaman-ski. Sorry if I offended you, Steve doesn't seem to mind if he offends his readers. Remember the Mutt-Jeep thing? I think our hobby is too small and susceptible to the whims of bureaucrats that we need to stick together, jeeps, trucks, soft-skins, armor, WW2 or post-war. I think it was unwise for Steve to dissrespect a legitamate military vehicle. Especially one that is an entry level vehicle for many people.
Kenny, I had no idea the diesels were so cheap. What did they come in?
Respectfully,
Jeff Whos-a-ma-call-it

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Jeff, I know we met at Aberdeen a couple of years ago. Hope you are doing well....

Yes, I was offended, there are other ways to make a point as I'm sure you know.
Steve Turchet has more MV driving/using/servicing experience than most people on this forum and his articles has enabled Military Vehicles Magazine to survive through the years. I think he deserves more respect.

If you have a complaint send a note to the editor of the magazine or perhaps you'd like your post published? Here is his email address:

John.Adams-Graf@fwpubs.com

Adamlee

Go gently, grasshopper...chat about Turchet

M880. Been there, done that. Nice truck, worst gas milage short of the deuce. Maybe a deuce is better. Put a early 70's Dodge NP205 setup in there, you are light years ahead of the game. Love the body style, reminds me of a truck version of a Roadrunner.

CUCV's come along, bada-bing, diesel, detroit locked 14-bolt, power steering. Instant street AND off-road 'cred.

Then there's Steve Turchet.....been reading his op-ed's in MV since 1987 (when it first came out).....he is simply one opinionated ornery old fart. He knows ALL.

Let's put it this way: he not only dissed deuces as a "practical" MV back in the early 90's, but he single-handedly tried to orient OD-heads towards hunting for M-37's and Unimogs as the "most practical MV's" back then, same as today.

Steve knows his stuff, tho....he has probably more ornery old tales about his Nissan Patrol and old Scout than anyone, but he is a 100% biased, old-school, crotchety mofo who represents all that is retro and none of what might be considered leading-edge.

Just like my crazy old uncle Enis (a phoney name for liability) who makes profound comments about the old '67 Coronet with slant 6 and three-n-the-tree being the "hot lick" of the century, all readers must seriously take everything Turchet says with a grain of salt.

And the best thing? I get the feeling people treat him like god at MV mag, cuz I don't see anyone else stepping up to the plate to subvert the dominant paradigm.

This is my opinion, and I approve this message,

Adamlee

Turchet and his fan base

Sorry if I offended you, Steve doesn't seem to mind if he offends his readers. Remember the Mutt-Jeep thing? -SKi

yeah! he really, totally dissed the Mutt. again, why does an old fart have to be god?

OK, before I begin to hear the thump of 4.2 mortars barraging my neighborhood.....I think Truchet is due some ribbing for writing in such a self-righteous style. He has NEVER shown any other side than crusty....

Which, Bjorn, you MUST realize, is 180 degrees OPPOSITE of the way YOU write.....maybe you need to help Steve with his journalism.....since I have much more respect for what you have been doing & experimenting with.
Bjorn, YOU should have that column in MV! My 2 cents......

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was a little put back on Steve's comments on the MUTT. Perhaps he is best left for the editorial with his opinions. Other than that, I don't let what anyone says dictate what I'm buying. I'm quite happy making my own decisions.

NEIOWA

I won't make any claims to being an "expert" on fixing the M880s but we still had a BUNCH of them when I was on active duty in 1995-89. 9ID (MTZ) used them (the only unit in the Army to do so) as surrogate squad carriers (soon after I arrived replaced with M998). During my entire time in 9ID all the Bn/Bde/Div CP vehicles were M880 ambulances. There were not that old at the time and were total POS. They frequently were run to keep batteries charged (3 to 5 RT524s, and 3+ laptops, a server, etc).

Bn TOC used 3ea for full CP setup. During a 4week FTX (field exercise) at Yakima Firing Center they averaged 2 or 3 engines. This would consist of jumping the TOC avg of twice a day (maybe 10mi each time) over gravel roads and slow moderate cross country, some occasional steep grades on goat trails. I don't know what the rated load was and likely they were substantially overloaded. Not sure. I do know moving the TOC almost always included a 5t wrecker towing at least one and the wrecker doing an engine was a near daily operation.

Did not leave a positive impression with me.

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well I didn't mean this thread as against the Author / Magazine.
I skimmed through the article, noticed several errors, figured my post to be a helpful notice in what is probably the worlds only M880 forum.

Iowa!
Wow, that is a lot of engine failures. Especially for a 318 Dodge motor

McGuyver

I skimmed through the article, noticed several errors, figured my post to be a helpful notice in what is probably the worlds only M880 forum.
Agreed. The individuals who are probably the most qualified to speak about and most knowlegeable about the M880's are those who are enthusiasts, who have taken the time to research and study the details about the truck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks