• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MVPA 2012 ALCAN Convoy sighting

wilfreeman

I don't know if this is in the right forum or not, but here goes.

My Father in Law is in Wyoming on a business trip and just ran up on the ALCAN Convoy. They were stopped, so he stopped and talked to them for a minute and took some pics. He sent me this pic, and said he would send more when he gets to the hotel and gets on his laptop.

He said it is a 1937 Ford. Is it military (I guess it is, but have never seen one)?

1937 Ford.jpg 1937 Ford (rear).jpg

wilfreeman

He said there was a box duece (which is an M109) pulling an engineer trailer that was from South Carolina, 2 other trucks from Australia, and others. He also said they started in SC with 5 vehicles - now there is 12. There are tags from SC, GA, TX and AK. They are meeting "the Jeeps" in Canada.

Anybody know this convoy?

jasonjc

It's the MVPA's convoy last year or the year before they did a cross country convoy to redo/remember the frist military cross county convoy.

123mack

2009 was the Lincoln Highway convoy, D.C. to San Francisco. This year commemorates the Alcan highway. The M109 from Charleston S.C. linked up with some members from FL and Alabama in Samson AL two weeks ago and headed to to Brighton CO, where they joined up with a convoy from TX. If you facebook, here is the MVPA page with a link. For those who don't, some pictures from the site.

Attachments

wilfreeman

Yeah, his last email said he was at a gas station in Casper, WY when he met these guys and got to talk with them - that was a couple of hours ago. Sure wish I could take a few weeks (or month) and do it with them! That sure was a nice '37 Ford!

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
MVPA ALCAN 2012 sighting

Great thread start and a place that we can ask Catman and others in the collector convoys to let us know how they're 'makin out'.

One collector convoy had planned to cross the Canadian border and land in Brooks, Alberta on the 26th. A long drive up highway 36 to Camrose, then highway 21 to the left hand turn to meet the local MVPA in Nisku, south of Edmonton.

2 jeeps from the local MVPA will convoy with them to Devon, then North on Highway 60 to Highway 16 and an over nighter and maybe a little Alberta Beef.

Will post pics here once they arrive.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Didn't know the Aussies had M915's. That's one heck of a roo bar or whatever they call them.

123mack

The 915 with the trailer belongs to Ken Field of Florida. He built the bumper and added a hydraulic winch to the front. The hyd oil tank is located just behind the bumper.

Cowlhoods

Ran into the Guys at the Hub of Alaska in Glennallen tonight. It was a pleasure talking with you and I hope the Tai Food agreed with you...lol. What a sight seeing all that Olive Drab!!!
Patrick

rickf

Got a report from a friend of mine on the convoy that a M-151 rolled right in front of him yesterday. Trailer went off the road and down the embankment and pulled the Mutt over. Everyone was safe and they beat the windshield back into something that resembled normal and plugged in a piece of plexiglass and back on the road. He is going to send me pictures as soon as he gets somewhere that he can. This was going into Tok, Alaska.

Rick

dodgedougak

Steel Soldiers Supporter
1937 Marmon-Harrington

I may have spelled that wrong, but the initial question asked was about the "Ford" on the trailer. I was up in Dawson Creek for the start of the AC12 convoy. I was told that this was a 1937 truck built up by Marmon-Harrington (with a few others) as a trial unit for the Army. In other words, very rare! It was built on a Ford chassis with a flathead engine. It is gorgeous and anyone would give their first-born to get hands on it! I am concerned that it was on the "rescue" trailer? I think it may have been the only pre-WWII truck in the convoy. Hope this helps.
Doug