• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mvpa convention july 8-10, who's comming and what are you bringing?

Bobert

I might like to go.
Does anybody know if they will allow parts swapping out in the parking lot area? Or just vendors.

Not sure what vehicle we would bring, perhaps a J20 Ambulance, but we have a bunch of stuff we could sell/trade.

davesgmc

I might like to go.
Does anybody know if they will allow parts swapping out in the parking lot area? Or just vendors.

Not sure what vehicle we would bring, perhaps a J20 Ambulance, but we have a bunch of stuff we could sell/trade.
i was told " its the parking lot, we cant stop you from doing anything there"...tahts just what was said, not sure if its true or not. am sure no one will care really.

davesgmc

as all conventions, you must be an mvpa member to get in on wed, thurs or friday, and pay the registration ffes, or pay at the door. you can also join the mvpa on location, pay at the door and get in too. saturday is open to the public and a $5 donation gets you in.

PLEASE if you join the mvpa at the door (well worth being a member) please put the Kansas City **** on wheels as the person/group that refered you.

Steve Preston

MVPA Convention Information

"From what I understand there will be an outside display area were you and your truck can come and go. There is supposed to be an outside roofed arena with security that you can have your truck displayed or parked in at night. If your MV is put inside the main arena for judging or display it can not be removed till the end of the show Saturday evening. This is all hearsay info, someone from the hosting chapter needs to give us the "rest of the story".2cents

There will be an outside display area in front of the Expocentre for all vehicles that do not want to be judged, and want to be able to drive them around during he convention. Those vehicles will be able to park inside the covered arena at night and there will be security on duty all night to watch everything. Any vehicle going inside to be judged will be pre-judged as it arrives so that all of the operating systems can be checked before it is parked and the battery is disconnected. They don't want us running the vehicles inside the building, so that part will be done first. Once it is inside and you have had a chance to detail it and get it ready for judging, the rest of the judging will be completed sometime before the awards banquet Saturday night. The vehicle owner will be notified of the time their vehicle is going to be judged, so they can be there to answer questions if needed.
If you plan on bringing a vehicle for display only, and want it to be parked inside, you will not be able to drive it around once it is on display inside. It will have to stay there until the show is over Saturday afternoon. There will be time for vehicles and vendors to remove their items once the show shuts down Saturday afternoon, before the awards banquet. We are less than 2 weeks away so please let me know if you have any other questions I can answer for you before the convention.

Hope to see you all there!

Steve Preston
MVPA Convention Chairman

davesgmc

yeah, anyone got a couple of crushed jeeps i can park my elmo on top of? actually dont need the already crusshed, want to crush them with the elmo.
now ya got me thinkin,,,there ARE a couple of m38a1's in my back yard,,,,,,,,,,,hmmm

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I might like to go.

Bobert bring what you got, some of the best bargains I have gotten at these were in the parking lot. I have tables inside but will also have big stuff out in the lot, you will not be the only person selling off a truck or a trailer. Usually if it is not an inside /outside convention, like Dayton or Evansville was they have a marked off area for outside area for swapping. I have read over the convention stuff several times and it doesn't look like that is the case this year.2cents

Steve Preston

Bobert bring what you got, some of the best bargains I have gotten at these were in the parking lot. I have tables inside but will also have big stuff out in the lot, you will not be the only person selling off a truck or a trailer. Usually if it is not an inside /outside convention, like Dayton or Evansville was they have a marked off area for outside area for swapping. I have read over the convention stuff several times and it doesn't look like that is the case this year.2cents
This years convention will ONLY have inside vending. At previous conventions there has been outside spaces available to purchase for vendors that want to spread out a little and chance some good weather, but this year it is all indoors. There is a covered building that is normally used as a riding arena that the Rolling Thunder Affiliate rented as part of the expense to secure the Kansas Expocentre for the Convention, and there are vending spaces available inside that building for anyone that wants to sell.

Selling parts or vehicles out in the parking lot of the Expocentre during he convention is not allowed and is generally frowned on by the MVPA. The Expocentre parking lots are rented by The Rolling Thunder and the MVPA for the convention although there is no charge for "parking" in the lots for this event, as a service to our members. Selling your items out the back door of your car in the parking lot would be taking advantage of the thousands of dollars spent by the Rolling Thunder Affiliate and the MVPA to host and advertise this convention. Do you really think that the MVPA and their Affiliates spends so much time, money, and energy to put on these events which bring in members from all over the world, so someone can just drive in on convention weekend and "set up" in the parking lot for business and not register or pay to be a vendor like everyone else? That is not fair to the other vendors, the Affiliate hosting the convention (in this case the Rolling Thunder), or the MVPA.

I don't know of any swap meet or convention, that it is OK to just go and set up as a vendor in the parking lot, and sell your stuff without paying a vendor fee. I'm sure it happens once in a while, but it's wrong and it takes advantage of whoever is hosting the event. In this case, that would be the Rolling Thunder and the MVPA.

davesgmc

steve, it was said in one of the rolling thunder meetings when asked if outdoor spaces would be available and chester said no outside vending spaces would be available, but he wasnt going to stop anyone for selling outside. I know a lot of people wanted outside space so they could sell off thier truck or trailer,,its not easy to move a dozen five ton axles inside or convienient to do so either. The guys that wanted outside spaces said they would pay,,but none are available. so if someone shows up and wants to sell outside,,maybe you should ask then to pay for a vendor spot? then they arent taking away anyone money. 2cents

Steve Preston

Hi Dave.
That was the thought behind renting the covered arena building. Chester and I both discussed being able to have enough room for vendors that want to spread out a little, or park large vehicles for sale, and we both agreed that the arena would be a good place to do that. I think the guy that is bringing the MASH tent and display is also going to set up in that building because he needs lots of room. It is the perfect place for these vendors that can't fit their stuff on a 8' table in the main hall, and the rates are affordable. Those spaces can be rented through MVPA headquarters like the rest of the vendor tables. At last count, there are less than 50 tables still available inside the main hall before it is sold out.

Thanks for clarifying the confusion. :)

davesgmc

the mash tent as far as i know (if it shows up) is going to be set in the middle of the main display hall. the outside covered area is where some sort of display involving dirt or someth8ing is going to be. that was what i got out of the last meeting.
going to be intresting as to how it all plays out. and even more intresting as to how they are going to get my ferret in late wed evening. elmo wont appear til saturday,,thats if i get the busted air lines fixed

Steve Preston

I just spoke with MVPA HQ, and they confirmed that ther are spaces available inside the covered arena for vending, and are being sold at $100 each. They are large spaces and there is enough room for as many vendors that want them. At least one person from the Rolling Thunder affiliate has already reserved one of these vending spaces. Because of this, there will be no vending allowed outside in the parking lot during the convention.

I think it would be much easier to set the MASH tent up in the arena since it has a dirt floor and can be staked down. It will also eat up a lot of room in the vehicle display area, but I will talk with Chester about his plans for the tent. I think if we put it in the covered arena, it would help ensure that the vendors locarted in the arena would get the foot traffic they want.

Steve Preston
MVPA Convention Chairman

davesgmc

thanks for the clarification steve

so, for you guys wanting to sel out in the parking lot...if you do,,,,,and you dont pay, elmo will come and take all your stuff....just kidding....lets all have fun why dont we?