• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My “new” M1009 is home!

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
JCease and I just returned Wednesday from a little adventure picking up my new M1009, and looking at one for him among the upcoming CUCVs. Our plan was to flat tow the truck home. Pickup was super easy. There was no real security, and Glen the GL employee was real laid back. I grilled him on the title/SF97/No VIN Bill of Sale issues, but with no luck. I ended up just with a copy of the invoice with no VIN. My Blazer was not much trouble getting ready for towing. It had almost all the tread on the tires, but they do have a bit of sidewall cracking. The spare was new. It only has mostly starter rust just in all the usual places. This one has what looks like factory undercoating, which appears to have held up well over the years. We dropped the rear drive shaft, unlocked the hubs, put the transmission/transfer case in neutral, hooked up a set of tow lights, and were ready to tow. One of the rear emergency brakes stuck a little, but with a little usage it broke free.

Most of the CUCVs up there appeared to have had the radiator fluid tested in 2004 by the tags. I assume that they serviced the trucks in general at that time, so I would assume most were runners. Lots of dead batteries though. They were a mixed bag as far as rust goes. Lots of good tread on those tires, but they had the sidewall cracking.
So after checking everything out we pulled out and while we could feel it behind JCease’s Chevy Z71 it was not too bad. A little banging from the pintle hitch though. I am guessing some tongue weight helps with that. About 1/3 of the way home though the front drivers side tire decided to rip itself apart. JCease had it under control though and we pulled off with no problem. Unfortunately the spare tire still had the padlock on it, so we had to unbolt the bracket from the body to get it loose. Then we found out that the lug wrench that was in the Blazer was the wrong size. It probably fits the M1008. Anyone want to trade? Well a quick trip to Advance Auto got us the tools we needed. From there on everything went smoothly.

When we got to my house we took a battery from my vehicle, and tried to start it up again. After about 5 seconds it fired right up, and ran great. Yesterday I put the drive shaft back in place, and it drove just great. Almost everything works except for a couple bulbs in the dash being out, and the temperamental headlight switch. Now if I only had a title to prove I owned it.

Now we have to find a CUCV for JCease, and we can put our experience from this trip to make things run even smoother.

SsjSned

Nice M1009. I flat towed my M1008 the same way bolted to the shackle bars. towed fine the whole 200 miles from jersey using the ball style hitch so it didnt bang at all.

Armada

Solid looking truck. You did good, especially being a runner! CUCV's with rot free bodies are getting very hard to find. How do the floor pans look?

WVSCOUTCAR

cucv blazer from letterkenny

Great to see that you made it home. I was the bald guy that helped you put the bolt in your tow bar at letterkenny. I was looking at Blazers also and told you the m109 duce was a good looking truck. I bid on and bought blazer #3603. It has 55K and runs.
But I had to pay $2007. for it. During your auction some blazers went for 600. This time a cheap blazer was 1100. I will pick mine up this week. I am going to use my military toe bar and a F250 pickup. I will let you know how I do on the title issue.
Stephen Goff US Army Retired Buckhannon, WV

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: cucv blazer from letterkenny

Welcome aboard wvscoutcar. This is a great bunch of folks here!

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
The floor board actually looks really good. There is some light to medium rust getting started, but no holes in the floor. This truck has the usual rust on the rocker right below the drivers door. The replacement panel is cheap though.

I am actually thinking the tow bar clunk is my fault in how I designed it now that I think about it more. I'll get a pick tomorrow, and explain.

WVSCOUTCAR glad to hear from you. Thanks so much for the improvised hammer idea. I can't believe I forgot to bring a big hammer. I was so busy with the GL guy and my M1009 I did not have a chance to talk to you much, so I was hopping you would show up here. I am really interested in your titling in WVa. experiance. The prices were definatly up for this set of CUCVs, but I don't see a reason for it. I did not see all the CUCVs from the first batch, but I got the impression that overall the first batch was a little better. I am glad to hear you won the truck you were after. I am sending you a PM WVSCOUTCAR.

Here is a pic of the results of a bad repair job on a dented in section caused by that bracket wacking something. I hope to find a Blazer in the junk yard to cut a replacement section out. It is rusted thru along the top.

Attachments