• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My 1028 hauling a load

sowchinook1

Here's a pic of my 1028 hauling sand last week. The bed was completely full at all corners and filled slightly higher than the top of the bed. It was two shovel fulls from a large front end loader. I dont know what it weighed but the truck handled it fine. Any guestimates as to the weight of a truckload of sand? the overload springs just barely contacted the stops. I've had a lot of older 1 tons but never anything newer than 1987. I wonder how these cucvs stack up when compared to a newer style 1 ton? On a separate note, I pulled of the air cleaner for maintenance and noticed a bunch of gunk in the intake, probly 1/8" of black slime. Is there anyway to safely get it out of the whole intake, and also is there any kind of additive to prevent buildup of this kind of stuff within the internals of the engine? Lastly, my instrument cluster on the far left is missing the lenses, what indications are the far left lights on the dash meant to show. It's the last 2 one on top of the other, I thought maybe a temp gauge and 4wd light. I didn't see an actual temp gauge so I guess it's just a dummy light?

Thanks

Attachments

GM72K10

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Truckload of dry Sand, Full bed, close to 4000 lbs. Have had 3600lbs of tile in my M1028a1 too, no problem. Handles the load quite well.Also quite a few looks when delivering material to a job site. Positive looks of course. They are quite the conversation piece.

Croatan_Kid

Not and M1028, but close. When I drive my M1008 around, especially to work, I get stopped and asked about it, nods, waves, and people hollering at me.

Just today, in fact, I got stopped at the gate going back on base to work and the sentry asked me where I got it from!

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
We used to back into the sand dunes in Northern Indiana with an old Dodge pick up and shovel it full of sand. Being boys that got off when enough sand was delivered we always loaded it till it could hold no more. It looked way worse than your picture and the front wheels tended to float a little light and it made stearing it very interesting. I am hoping my M1031 does OK with all the tools I have planned for it.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
We opened the valve covers on my sisters 66 Mustang when I was a kid and found the same gunk covering the covers just wiped it out and cleaned them with 19 Cent per gallon gasoline and put them back my dad told me the oil mixed with moisture in the engine that got sucked in when it cooled and caused that. I am 1/10th the mechanic my dad was so I think you are OK too.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus said:
We opened the valve covers on my sisters 66 Mustang when I was a kid and found the same gunk covering the covers just wiped it out and cleaned them with 19 Cent per gallon gasoline and put them back my dad told me the oil mixed with moisture in the engine that got sucked in when it cooled and caused that. I am 1/10th the mechanic my dad was so I think you are OK too.
I'm a little confused. The valve covers are supposed to have oil inside them.

1956_4x4

CCATLETT1984 said:
the "gunk" is just oil residue from the CDR valve, its normal and will not harm the engine at all.
You see a lot of this on engines that don't spend a lot of time at full operating temperatures. The moisture just builds up over time, but a good long hot run will usually clear it right up.

Smitty

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
DriverSideImpact1008 said:
I'm a little confused. The valve covers are supposed to have oil inside them.
I think he's talking about the thick gunk that orms on the inside of engines sometimes. If the engine gets idled a lot and never heated up, it can appear milky brown.

sowchinook1

So I guess 4000lbs sounds about right. That does exceed the 3600lb weight specified in the placard but I have always been under the impression that trucks can carry more than placarded data and only list a certain payload capability in order to guarantee safe/reliable operation of the vehicle. I could barely tell I was carrying the load at all, the truck accellerated normally and drove straight. Regarding the 1028s, I understand the dual wheel versions have the dana 70 and also a higher GVWR, is this due to different suspension or do all 1028s have the same springs? Also, my tires are 235/85 16.5s. They recommend 80psi. Are these the same tires that are supposed to come with the truck and how does tire psi affect load carrying capability? In other words, do I fill tires to 80 psi and then load up the truck or will 50 psi turn into 80 with a big load in the back? Forgive the basic physics question here, I've never really been to concerned with psi. In other trucks especially 1 tons, I would run lower psi to soften up the ride a bit but I always wondered if it would affect load carrying potential.

Thx

1956_4x4

sowchinook1 said:
So I guess 4000lbs sounds about right. That does exceed the 3600lb weight specified in the placard but I have always been under the impression that trucks can carry more than placarded data and only list a certain payload capability in order to guarantee safe/reliable operation of the vehicle. I could barely tell I was carrying the load at all, the truck accellerated normally and drove straight. Regarding the 1028s, I understand the dual wheel versions have the dana 70 and also a higher GVWR, is this due to different suspension or do all 1028s have the same springs? Also, my tires are 235/85 16.5s. They recommend 80psi. Are these the same tires that are supposed to come with the truck and how does tire psi affect load carrying capability? In other words, do I fill tires to 80 psi and then load up the truck or will 50 psi turn into 80 with a big load in the back? Forgive the basic physics question here, I've never really been to concerned with psi. In other trucks especially 1 tons, I would run lower psi to soften up the ride a bit but I always wondered if it would affect load carrying potential.

Thx
Lowering the tire pressure under load allows the sidewalls to flex more. This flexing creates heat and leads to sidewall failure.

Smitty

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The dually has the heavier Dana 70HD, but the frame and springs are the same. The Payload of the dually is 4000# (including crew - uniform distribution).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks