• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MY 1952 M211 GARWOOD CRANE TRUCK

292FARMER

thanks for having me, I acquired an 1952 m135, been swapped to duals like m211. that has had a Garwood US6A crane-body installed. this body is same/similar to one installed on the kenworth and ward la france heavy wrecker/crane trucks. depending on materials i've found its rated to lift between 16k or 20,000lbs. The rear winch is a Garwood either 47500lb or 60,000lb(im guessing 47k be safe). boom rotates 180* and goes almost 90*up to as low as body will allow be fore hitting sides. I've added some pic of my toy.

Attachments

292FARMER

few more pics, if i can figure it out ill load some videos..

Attachments

292FARMER

Oh My Oh My.
Play out all that wire, inspect+ renew as necessary.
You got a lot of property and things to do with that wonderful rig.
yeah, i plan on swapping the wire on rear winch back to front winch where it was pulled from, getting new impact swagged cable. crane cable was replaced 15 or so years ago, looks good but i may still swap in new as budget permits. definitely been having fun with it, i had a pirate flag made for it i like to keep that tied to boom for giggles haha

dmetalmiki

Said it before..(Somewhere,),..I'll say it again.."GAWSH",!..
That is a really one off truck.
Paint it up and make look like 'Combat'.
I like it so much..But, Probably should NOT own it..As, ..I reckon I'd have it a week, (Meb'be two,...)..Forget about the 'pole', back up, and punch out the barn shutters!.
Welcome to the site, the hobby, the friendships and advices to come.,:driver:

292FARMER

Said it before..(Somewhere,),..I'll say it again.."GAWSH",!..
That is a really one off truck.
Paint it up and make look like 'Combat'.
I like it so much..But, Probably should NOT own it..As, ..I reckon I'd have it a week, (Meb'be two,...)..Forget about the 'pole', back up, and punch out the barn shutters!.
Welcome to the site, the hobby, the friendships and advices to come.,:driver:
Thanks for the welcome! YEAH take some getting used to that boom sticking out almost 12 ft out back. I've been debating paint schemes almost considered black with jolly rogers instead of stars...because well im different haha.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
yeah, i plan on swapping the wire on rear winch back to front winch where it was pulled from, getting new impact swagged cable. crane cable was replaced 15 or so years ago, looks good but i may still swap in new as budget permits. definitely been having fun with it, i had a pirate flag made for it i like to keep that tied to boom for giggles haha
is it still 6 cylinder gas automatic?

292FARMER

YES! wouldn't have it any other way personally. transmission is a little funky but was a log skidder for 10 years then sat for 12 years in one spot just removing dumpbodies and salters out of 10 wheelers etc. slowly been getting tranny up to par, think it just sat too long and minimal maintenance.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
thanks for having me, I acquired an 1952 m135, been swapped to duals like m211. that has had a Garwood US6A crane-body installed. this body is same/similar to one installed on the kenworth and ward la france heavy wrecker/crane trucks. depending on materials i've found its rated to lift between 16k or 20,000lbs. The rear winch is a Garwood either 47500lb or 60,000lb(im guessing 47k be safe). boom rotates 180* and goes almost 90*up to as low as body will allow be fore hitting sides. I've added some pic of my toy.
Welcome from North Carolina!

Mechanical is just so neat... No oil to filter, no drips and leaks. Definitely like your truck.
Yes sir. A little paint on it and that would take 20 years off for sure.

There are bunches of TM's here for the winch, the truck, and even a Technical Manual for how to rig lifts safely.
All of that is available to you as a member, so don't hesitate to download and give them a peek.

Welcome to the hobby and I hope you enjoy lifting and driving AND flying your Jolly Roger!
Might have to get yourself an eye patch and work on your "Argh Matey" for effect :cool:

Tim

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor

Thanks Frank!

I don't own a M135-211 but I couldn't resist downloading them - just because I could.
Appreciate you hunting them down for everybody!

Tim

292FARMER

Welcome from North Carolina!

Mechanical is just so neat... No oil to filter, no drips and leaks. Definitely like your truck.
Yes sir. A little paint on it and that would take 20 years off for sure.

There are bunches of TM's here for the winch, the truck, and even a Technical Manual for how to rig lifts safely.
All of that is available to you as a member, so don't hesitate to download and give them a peek.

Welcome to the hobby and I hope you enjoy lifting and driving AND flying your Jolly Roger!
Might have to get yourself an eye patch and work on your "Argh Matey" for effect :cool:

Tim
thank you! i do like the mechanical side of it...something relaxing about watching all the lines and gears turn. Ive been having fun pirating around the neighborhood in the ole' battlepig. steers like a boat so why not get her a flag i figured haha.

DUUANE

That is absolutely beautiful. Nothing more handy than a crane like that. I hope it serves you long and well. Be safe..and inspect your rigging!

292FARMER

That is absolutely beautiful. Nothing more handy than a crane like that. I hope it serves you long and well. Be safe..and inspect your rigging!
YES SIR! that crane is coming in mighty nice, i know my dad cant wait till early summer he wants to use it to finally repair/build his bridge to the back 40 wood lot. one of the first things I did was get the cable spooled out to see cond. no fraying or damage. but i have starting set aside money to get some nice impact swaged line. 2 biggest things i'm working on now are brakes and transmission.

waayfast

Hello!
Welcome to the madness from Salmon River Country!
Very cool set-up there. I have a 1945 Ward LaFrance M1A1 Heavy Wrecker equipped with that style crane and it is proving to be pretty handy.

Just so you know, that Garwood crane has it's own manual. TM 9-1796. "ordnance maintenance: crane assembly for heavy wrecking truck"
The TM 9-796 manual is for the whole truck (WLF) but has LOTS of info on the crane and is out there as well.IMG_3423.JPG

Once in a while they pop up , but seem to be pretty rare.
Just remember when using those control levers to throw them with authority. Snap in and snap out. DON'T try to "feather them".

292FARMER

Hello!
Welcome to the madness from Salmon River Country!
Very cool set-up there. I have a 1945 Ward LaFrance M1A1 Heavy Wrecker equipped with that style crane and it is proving to be pretty handy.

Just so you know, that Garwood crane has it's own manual. TM 9-1796. "ordnance maintenance: crane assembly for heavy wrecking truck"
The TM 9-796 manual is for the whole truck (WLF) but has LOTS of info on the crane and is out there as well.View attachment 827876

Once in a while they pop up , but seem to be pretty rare.
Just remember when using those control levers to throw them with authority. Snap in and snap out. DON'T try to "feather them".
Thank you! yes she likes to be operated with a firm hand haha. nice to see another one! I have found the tm 9-1796..illl look for the 9-796. have you ever rebuilt anything on these? or know if there is someone that deals parts with these? i've been debating doing the bearings to be safe.

waayfast

Thank you! yes she likes to be operated with a firm hand haha. nice to see another one! I have found the tm 9-1796..illl look for the 9-796. have you ever rebuilt anything on these? or know if there is someone that deals parts with these? i've been debating doing the bearings to be safe.
As far as parts like bearing etc. , I'm thinking we would just have to dig in and get our numbers right off the bearing in question. Then do the search for a match up.

There is a fellow in England that deals with and sells parts from the Ward LaFrance wreckers. Goes by "too tall Mike " as I remember. Sometimes he posts on the G503 site.
I did have a problem with the "slew" on my crane a while back. The pivot point for the bellcrank?? is located toward the rear of the "tower" and is somewhat exposed to the weather.
It rust seized at that point so had to apply heat and work some penetrating oil into the joint to free it up. Since then I keep a plastic tarp covering the tower as best as I can to keep rain and snow out.

292FARMER

As far as parts like bearing etc. , I'm thinking we would just have to dig in and get our numbers right off the bearing in question. Then do the search for a match up.

There is a fellow in England that deals with and sells parts from the Ward LaFrance wreckers. Goes by "too tall Mike " as I remember. Sometimes he posts on the G503 site.
I did have a problem with the "slew" on my crane a while back. The pivot point for the bellcrank?? is located toward the rear of the "tower" and is somewhat exposed to the weather.
It rust seized at that point so had to apply heat and work some penetrating oil into the joint to free it up. Since then I keep a plastic tarp covering the tower as best as I can to keep rain and snow out.
That's what i figured, But seeing as i found another with same truck had to ask..figure since uncle has a machine shop if had to make a sleeve to make sure a bearing would fit should'nt be too hard. ill keep too tall mike in mind in case. nothing seized on mine yet was well greased luckily but I would like to re-bearing it at some-point since i'm sure a failure would be sudden and not gradual when working it.

292FARMER

I do believe i might have a chipped tooth in boom pivot as dead center she's got a little "slop" and almost skips before catching and then pivoting like normal. i know TM states can flip that main gear 180* to get fresh teeth..assuming aint been done before haha

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks