• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My 1970 M35A2 is hard to start when it's cold...

She runs and starts just fine when it's warmed up or even if it sits all day at work from 8am to 5pm. But then if I let it sit all night and try to start it in the morning again, she takes about 20-25 seconds to start hitting on all the cylinders, smokes out half the neighborhood and then finally stays running on her own.

I haven't checked the fuel filter or the psi of the transfer pump.

I'm more suspect of the intake preheater that I can turn on with a momentary switch on the dash.

Anyone know if I should take apart the intake heater and clean it or look for broken parts?

Engine runs very strong and seems to have been rebuilt in 2002 by the military. Acts like it has good compression and this thing will top out at 55mph no problem.

Ideas?

KaiserM109

My suggestions:
1. Change out all the fuel filters; OD Iron has a set at a decent price. They can look good but be varnished over.
2. Check your in-tank fuel pump. MANY threads on it! In good, warm conditions
the IP can pull enough fuel to run, but may have serious problems in cold weather.
3. I took my preheater off on the advice of several members on this site when it started leaking.

Arlyn

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
You may be losing prime when the truck sits for a while......my deuce does the same thing.
It usually takes two or three cranks to start it after sitting a while.
Unless it takes a lot of cranking (to the point of getting the starter hot and draining the batteries) you are prob all right.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's my understanding that there is a check valve in the fuel line (in the pump maybe?) that prevents fuel from draining back to the tank while sitting.

I've had a couple of trucks that would loose their prime if they sit for very long. Seems they will start better if you turn the power on and let the pump run for 20sec or so before you try and start it.

Westex

If the smoke is white there is a problem. If it's black you're better off. Turn on the accessory switch and listen for the in tank fuel pump to whine. I agree with above members; let it run a few seconds to build pressure. I also vote you need a filter change. I did a complete fuel tank recoat with Red Kote (spelling?) followed with the spin on fuel filters by Jatonka on this site, and after some other details I won't bore you with, it runs fantastic.

Interesting stuff to check...

I just replaced both batteries ($325)...

Connections are perfect; engine spins over just fine.

Smoke is white and blue;

I've tried letting the intank pump prime for 15-20 seconds before, no difference...

I'm going to try the fuel filters first and then go from there.

Thanks again...

I believe so...

Bought it from Andy at Army 6x6...

It's in great shape and runs well once I've started it for the day, but that first time takes forever.

Know anybody with the tarp and bow setup for sale?