• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My 1971 Am General m109a3 RV build

muthkw25

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have made the plunge and purchased a m109a3 to restore and turn into an RV. Last fall at the Gilbert Military vehicle show, I spoke with John Tennis and he mentioned he had some vehicles for sale. I have spent alot of money at Johns tent at shows for the last two trucks and when he said he was selling trucksI had to ask for more info. John said he was looking to part ways with a really nice m109a3. I asked some questions about it and last November we spoke more about it and I came up to look at the truck and see if I could make this the 2020 project. John has the truck ready to go for a test drive. The truck ran like a top. For everyone that knows him, he is an amazing guy. He took great care of me and made sure that the truck was working flawless. What a great friend and good businessman. Anyone that wants or needs some parts for your m35a2s, I'd highly recommend him. It was 26 degrees outside with a wind chill of about 10 degrees and John hits the start button and it fires up. After we got back we talked and agreed to purchase the truck. Here are the first photos of the truck when I saw it.

Attachments

Last edited:

muthkw25

Steel Soldiers Supporter
John went through the truck and made sure everything was good to go. Today, my Dad and I went and picked up the truck. We brought all of the typical parts you might bring in case of a break down and headed to John's. We arrived and went over the rest of the details and parted ways. The journey home was 160 miles. Truck didn't miss a beat. Truck ran fantastic. No issues, great weather. Here are a few more photos of the truck.

Attachments

muthkw25

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Plans for the truck:

Paint lusterless marine corps Forrest green
Led lights all around
Lockout hubs
G177 tires
Axle, transmission and transfer case breather relocations
Coolant filter install
Backup camera
Axles, transmission, transfer case fluid changes

Truck all ready has a new hardtop painted, all spin on filters, new j pipe and exhaust, new windshields. Looking to have this completed before fall and with the covid virus going on, there's a great chance that will be the case.

For the box van:
Tan carc paint job from rapco pain
Possibly outdoor/indoor carpet
Futon/bed
Two chairs
Storage,
Fridge
Ac/heat
TV &, DVD player
Microwave &/or air fryer

Not sure about a bathroom. I have some ideas for that in the future, more to come soon.

Last edited:

Bill Nutting

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I built my RV on a M934 . I bought a 16’ camping trailer that someone stored on a grassy spot. The trailer was like new inside but the floor was rotted out. The appliances still had stickers on them. Stove with oven, refrigerator gas and 120v, complete water system, shower, bathroom vanity, electrical panel. The list of stuff I pulled out of that trailer is long. I use a porta potty instead of the toilet and black water tank. For the little use it gets, it wasn’t worth the work and space under the truck. It has hot and cold running water. I mounted two propane tanks under the box. Propane is for the stove, refrigerator and water heater. I was on the convoy last year and everything worked great. I could even make ice with the propane fridge. For the bed, I bought a trundle bed at IKEA. Couch by day, queen bed by night. I mounted the 25gal water tank and pump in a box under the truck to save storage inside. The water heater goes from cold to hot in about 15 minutes. It holds 7 gal. and is plenty to take a shower. I bought a 30 gal PVC tank for gray water.

muthkw25

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I built my RV on a M934 . I bought a 16’ camping trailer that someone stored on a grassy spot. The trailer was like new inside but the floor was rotted out. The appliances still had stickers on them. Stove with oven, refrigerator gas and 120v, complete water system, shower, bathroom vanity, electrical panel. The list of stuff I pulled out of that trailer is long. I use a porta potty instead of the toilet and black water tank. For the little use it gets, it wasn’t worth the work and space under the truck. It has hot and cold running water. I mounted two propane tanks under the box. Propane is for the stove, refrigerator and water heater. I was on the convoy last year and everything worked great. I could even make ice with the propane fridge. For the bed, I bought a trundle bed at IKEA. Couch by day, queen bed by night. I mounted the 25gal water tank and pump in a box under the truck to save storage inside. The water heater goes from cold to hot in about 15 minutes. It holds 7 gal. and is plenty to take a shower. I bought a 30 gal PVC tank for gray water.
Nice work! I have plans on using my m105a2 with s250 shelter as well but more to come with that in the future.

Do you have any solar setup?

muthkw25

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Today it was 75 degrees and I relocated the axle, transfer case and transmission breathers. On my other truck I found that even after driving if the breathers are cleaned I would have pressure inside them so moving the breathers to the engine bay was to help in case of fording ant water and to give me a piece of mind and not let the pressure build inside the axles.

I ordered some quick disconnect 1/8" fittings for the whole install. 3 straight fittings, 2-90 degree fittings and 1-t fitting. I bought 50 feet of 1/4" dot air line and a manifold from McMaster Carr. See Peashooters m109a3 build for more details. I mounted the manifold on the firewall and zip tied the lines together. For the axles I make sure to add some loops in the line for any travel the axles may do. Overall it was an easy upgrade. The transfer case breather can be accessed from inside the cab with 4 Phillips head screws. Take the cover off and it's right there. The transmission cover was easy as well, remove the bolts and the front panel and then run the cable up to the engine bay. Very pleased with the install. One less thing to do. Next step is to start preparing to prep the roof of the truck. Going to lightly sand it, prime any bare metal spots and apply 2 gallons of herculiner bedliner to the roof to seal it and protect it. I plan on painting it as well which I have done with my m105a2 and two m35a2s truck beds. Not sure if I want to paint it green or white. Still haven't decided and I have weighed the pros and cons.

fpchief

OP, I am in the middle of the same project. Except mine had to be gutted inside. ....all of it.

On yours, something you may want to check out is what appears to be some rust where two ceiling panels come together at. This things were rely bad about leaking at the roof seams. I replaced most of my roof.

fpchief

Plans for the truck:

Paint lusterless marine corps Forrest green
Led lights all around
Lockout hubs
G177 tires
Axle, transmission and transfer case breather relocations
Coolant filter install
Backup camera
Axles, transmission, transfer case fluid changes

Truck all ready has a new hardtop painted, all spin on filters, new j pipe and exhaust, new windshields. Looking to have this completed before fall and with the covid virus going on, there's a great chance that will be the case.

For the box van:
Tan carc paint job from rapco pain
Possibly outdoor/indoor carpet
Futon/bed
Two chairs
Storage,
Fridge
Ac/heat
TV &, DVD player
Microwave &/or air fryer

Not sure about a bathroom. I have some ideas for that in the future, more to come soon.
For the fridge, you going A/C or 12vdc or one that is both?

muthkw25

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OP, I am in the middle of the same project. Except mine had to be gutted inside. ....all of it.

On yours, something you may want to check out is what appears to be some rust where two ceiling panels come together at. This things were rely bad about leaking at the roof seams. I replaced most of my roof.
I looked at them and I will look into it. The roof has a very slight spot of surface rust and it doesn't look like it went through. I'm going to inspect it more closely when I get inside the box more. And might have to take some panels out. On a side note, The floor is perfectly solid and straight with no rot which is nice.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks