• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My 1986 M1010

CUCVLOVER

Ordered a Gm thermostat from a Chevy dealer today. Takes about a week to arrive. Nearest one to buy is about 2 hours away. I was looking to install a 180 but the parts guy says it doesn't give a temperature on the listing they have. Guess I'll have to wait to see what it is. She is currently running around 210 at highway speed. A little warm for me. About 60 mph. The tach is showing just under 3000. I have the tranny temp gauge installed and plan to have the rest installed later today.
Those RPMs are about right for what my truck runs at 60. The tach is definitely a valued tool for me. I like to know how hard I'm pushing that block but I can tell you the faster you go the faster you burn fuel. It seems to be gallons per mile instead of miles per gallon after you hit 55.

MountieM1010

The tach is a real bonus if you drive the highway at all. Am sure glad the previous owner saw fit to install one. I haven't driven her far enough to burn any real amount of fuel just yet but I'm hoping to real soon. Still in the upgrading stages yet. But hope to do so soon. Mostly now is test drives after each project.

MountieM1010

just finished installing a 4 gauge dash pod with 4 autometer gauges. . Transmission temperature, water temp, voltmeter and oil pressure. Also started to install my 285 75R 16 Goodyear Duratracs. Pics forthcoming.

MountieM1010

IMG_2845.jpgIMG_2831.jpgIMG_2830.jpgIMG_2840.jpgIMG_2841.jpgIMG_2843.jpgIMG_2844.jpgIMG_2847.jpgHere are some pics of the new Goodyear Duratrac 285-75R-16 Tires. 10 ply. I discovered that the dealer had only inflated them to 35lbs. I have to increase it this weekend. The other pics are of the transition of the gauge install. All the gauges work perfect. I'll attach them to the dash once I receive the new dash cover.

MountieM1010

IMG_2479.jpgIMG_2828.jpgSo this weekend I am installing a new thermostat, changing the diff oils, and starting on the winch and RV furnace install. The winch is a Warn 12000 that I got from a friend of mine. For some reason he decided to paint it black. It will require some cleaning but works perfect. I may change it back to its original color or paint it flat black to match the truck. The furnace which works perfect is a compact little camper model with fan and Thermostat. Fits under the seat perfectly. He even gave me the metal box that the propane tank sits in.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
All these M1010 pictures are making me miss mine. I will be taking a load of my stuff up to the new house in June and will take it out then.

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a set of Duratrac's on my M1009. I really like them. They were well worth the investment! They have great wet and dry traction, and they wear well. You hear a pleasant hum from them at 45 MPH +. :)

View attachment 623880View attachment 623885View attachment 623891View attachment 623892Here are some pics of the new Goodyear Duratrac 285-75R-16 Tires. 10 ply. I discovered that the dealer had only inflated them to 35lbs. I have to increase it this weekend. The other pics are of the transition of the gauge install. All the gauges work perfect. I'll attach them to the dash once I receive the new dash cover.

brazengoat06

I do have a 4 inch lift but with 4.11 gears the 35's would have really slowed her down. But I was very tempted. Previous owner switched out the 4.56 axles and put in 4.11's. Now I gotta look for a Detroit Locker for the rear as He took that as well.
I was surprised after I finished my 4l80 swap and drove it in OD. FIRST first it's the craziest thing when it shifts into TC lockup and the engine isn't screaming and your doing 70. Second I was surprised at how well I was able to keep high speed even with the NA 6.2, with the 4.56 gears and 35s it puts my rpm right at 2000 rpm which is the sweet stop for the 6.2 I couldn't ask for better turnout. But I'm still gonna do a turbo next. Got all the parts and just gotta do it. If anyone's interested I have another turbo setup lined up at the salvage I can go pull and Ship to someone. Hate to see it go to waste lol

Skinny

Heres mine, love this thing. Just finished the 4l80 swap, and about to start the turbo build.
That is a good looking rig! What are the specs on the tires?

I want to run 37's on 16.5 wheels for my new Suburban project but I really want to get away from the 16.5's as tires are becoming very scarce in selection and rims that are white wagon wheels are hard to track down as well unless you go to the HMMWV setup. Wide Ford 16's off 80's and 90's F250 and F350 trucks look good and made by the millions. Seems like Duratracs are good, yours look like a nice tread pattern and size.

brazengoat06

Thank You! Im running 315/75R16 on the standard m1010 wheels. The tires are Mudclaw MT made by cooper here in the states, i own a small shop and have several tire distributors. I really like the tire and its a great price point. 35s are the max you can fit on a 4 inch lifted m1010, mainly due to the rear box wheel wells. Plenty for me though

CUCVLOVER

Thank You! Im running 315/75R16 on the standard m1010 wheels. The tires are Mudclaw MT made by cooper here in the states, i own a small shop and have several tire distributors. I really like the tire and its a great price point. 35s are the max you can fit on a 4 inch lifted m1010, mainly due to the rear box wheel wells. Plenty for me though
You can run a bigger tire if you wanted to. Just put some umm lubrication on them thing and they will fit. Lol

MountieM1010

I was surprised after I finished my 4l80 swap and drove it in OD. FIRST first it's the craziest thing when it shifts into TC lockup and the engine isn't screaming and your doing 70. Second I was surprised at how well I was able to keep high speed even with the NA 6.2, with the 4.56 gears and 35s it puts my rpm right at 2000 rpm which is the sweet stop for the 6.2 I couldn't ask for better turnout. But I'm still gonna do a turbo next. Got all the parts and just gotta do it. If anyone's interested I have another turbo setup lined up at the salvage I can go pull and Ship to someone. Hate to see it go to waste lol
How difficult was the tranny swap? That would be something I would be interested in for sure. My Duratracs are 33.1 inches tall which is fine with the gears I have.

brazengoat06

Agreed. But the 6.2 is a good motor. I think the longest highway drive I made was 1 1/2 hours. Now that I have the 4l80 I wanna take it to moab in utah

jpg

I've made multiple 400 & 600 mile runs. A visit to Mom or Rausch Creek is 350 miles. On really long runs, I take breaks, nap in the back, and make coffee and meals using the tactical crock pot. Good ear protection helps reduce the fatigue. I use electronic muffs that filter out the loud stuff but still allow you to hear conversations. I'd love to be able to cruise highways at 2000 RPM, but I've not messed with the gearing yet.