• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My 1986 M1010

brazengoat06

We made an offroad camping trip one weekend. I slept in the back and left the truck running all night for the use of air Conditioning and all the lights. Uses about 5 gallons in an 8-10 hour stretch at idle. Works great cause I just carry a jerry can to top it off each morning.

jpg

We made an offroad camping trip one weekend. I slept in the back and left the truck running all night for the use of air Conditioning and all the lights. Uses about 5 gallons in an 8-10 hour stretch at idle. Works great cause I just carry a jerry can to top it off each morning.
I would *strongly* recommend a Carbon Monoxide Detector (or 2) if you are going to sleep with an engine or heater running. I'd recommend this with a brand-new rig, but it's even more important in a 30+ year old vehicle. I'm not brave enough to sleep with the engine or heater running. I've slept quite comfortably in a sleeping bag while the snow outside fell horizontally due to the strong winds. I felt sorry for the folks in tents that night.

If I try sleeping with the A/C on, it will be after thorough long-term testing while I'm awake, and with at least 2 CO detectors operational. (This assumes I get the A/C working again...)

brazengoat06

That's very good advice. Probably grab a marine grade monoxide detector. I do know that I have a leak free exhaust, I do feel bad for any fellow tent goers that sleep near me though because the fumes are pretty heavy lol

MountieM1010

Unfortunately I don't have 24 volt anymore so it will be a small RV furnace for me and possibly a 110 volt AC unit. Today I ordered my Detroit Locker for the rear. Should be here in a few days. A previous owner(not the last one) switched out the rear and front ends when he switched to 4.11 gears. Still have the heavy duty gear, just no locker.

MountieM1010

I installed a new thermostat in my M1010 today. The old gauge was reading 201F. I installed a new gauge and the reading changed to about 180F. To make sure I installed a new OEM thermostat today and the reading was again at 180F. It was a relief to know it was the old gauge. The piping behind the thermostat was very clean as was the antifreeze. Great to see that. Also picked up gaskets for the rear axle in anticipation of installing the new locker.

MountieM1010

Here are some new pics. I have been very busy but now have the RV furnace installed and operating. I also found someone who was parting out an old pickup camper and got the internal dual propane storage box and installed that as well so both my 20lb tanks are inside. Also a pic of the dash cover, replaced the radio antenna and also installed a new hi torque starter. IMG_3350.jpgIMG_3374.jpgIMG_3372.jpgIMG_2861.jpgIMG_2867.jpgIMG_2859.jpgIMG_2887.jpgIMG_2894.jpgIMG_2893.jpg

MountieM1010

The propane tank door has since been repainted with a darker color and I found the Hat on Ebay. I'll use it for parades. Also I have to give the furnace another coat of paint. I was also very lucky to find a booster cable setup with the Nato plug.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's looking cozy warm. I like the idea of the co2 alarm. When I ran my little propane heater in there I'd leave the drivers window open and hang a chunk of mosquito netting over the opening. I think the box was built to be air-tight so it's something to be aware of for sure.

We've got a big convoy running out to the airshow this coming weekend with at least 10 units confirmed for Sunday. I was hoping you were set up for it so check the email and let me know what the schedule is. My bed is set up in the deuce but I'll trade you if ya don't mind mosquito's!!

We'll be parked on the taxiway next to a P-38 and a P-51 so it should make for some once in a lifetime photos.

P7310491.jpg

MountieM1010

IMG_3588.jpgIMG_3431.jpgIMG_3596.jpgIMG_3594.jpg Here are some of my later photos taken while I was out hunting in November. The RV furnace worked fantastic.Took less than 10 minutes to warm the truck up. Ran the furnace off the batteries all nite and was still able to start the truck in Minus 15 Celcius in the morning with no issues. The pic inside is of my two hunting buddies. The guy who is sitting directly across from me is my mechanic wizard best friend Barry who I'm sorry to say passed away suddenly on Feb 17. He forgot more about mechanics than I will ever know. Thanks to him I have a truck that is now in top operating condition. He even built the winch frame for me. I will never forget you my friend.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks