• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My 1988 HMMWV

4x4Guy

Got the truck a few months back and so far made a minor comfort upgrade and got some things done on the truck, if anyone has run into an issue with too much white smoke put your two cents in the jar, new glow plugs so I'm thinking injectors or advanced timing?

Attachments

bigbird1

6.2, or 6.5, how does it run? I would do a cylinder drop test and find what cy.l is causing the problem, you just need to find why the fuel isn't getting burnt.

4x4Guy

It's a 6.2, the previous owner did mention that he advanced the timing could it be caused by too much fuel at lower rpm? Will try the cut/drop test on them this weekend thanks for your help

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Make sure the orange boots (or more importantly the electrical connections inside them) are making good contact with the glow plugs.

bigbird1

I would try putting it back to stock timing , you might be adding fuel at the wrong time in the combustion process and causing it to not be burnt completely. Good luck with it, I'm jealous , I have always thought one would be cool to own.

Last edited:

4x4Guy

Laid down some bedliner on the inside and the bed, got all the injectors changed out smokes a lot less but still has too much smoke in my opinion at normal temps. I think next I will look into injection timing

toyrunner95

on my 6.2 I had white smoke after I re did the head gaskets, turns out i spilled coolant down the exhaust. what does the exhaust smell like?

if its sweet smelling and white , its coolant, if its gray white and smells bitter sweet ish, its probably unburnt fuel. if it turns black when you romp on it its over fuel.

the drop test will help but i found that when i did mine no cylinder made any one difference. SO! i pulled the injectors and did a POP test on them. turns out that one of them wasnt giving an accurate spray! i replaced them one at a time cuz they are fairly expensive and that solved most of my smoking issues. call H&H diesel in fife WA. talk to dan in the rebuild shop. he knows the CUCV.

4x4Guy

Got new injectors timing is perfect yet I get a nice cloud of smoke all the time, anyone around or near me has tears from all the smoke. I will try calling Dan, sorry I have not been around here for a while and now I am back at it again.

jarhead_jeeper

Have you done a compression test on it? How long have you run the engine since you've had it?

I had a 6.2 that sat for a couple years without running. It smoked quite a bit for the first few days. I asked about it at another site.

Barrman posted in a thread there about loading the truck up to capacity and running it hard for about a hundred miles or so. (That's a pretty loose translation of what he posted).

I didn't do exactly that but did run it hard for a while and it did eventually clear up and ran great. It still smokes a lot after a cold start more than other 6.2's I've had but clears up pretty quickly now.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks