• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My 1988 McGraw Pioneer Tool Trailer

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey guys, starting a thread for my Pioneer Tool Trailer I won from GovPlanet at the end of October. I'm going to try and consolidate my adventures with it on this thread.

First question that's up right now... How to I label the titling for this?

I have the SF87 request from GovPlanet, It's requesting

Make:
Model:
Body Style: Enclosed
Weight: 3000 lbs... or is this the GVWR?
GVWR:

My M116A2 data plates are completely un-readable.

Attachments

Last edited:

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
The official govt answer is it is a Pioneer Tool Trailer. It lost it's identity as a M116A2 when the tool box was added. This is the same as the MKT kitchen trailer. By the book, it is no longer a M104 nor the NSN nor the LIN. I'd say that's my 2 cents but actually it's worth $10.65.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My take is Make: McGraw Commercial
Model: Trailer 2 wheel
Weight: 1500 (this is the empty weight which is not given, scale it or guess)
GVWR: 3000 (this is the weight of the trailer with the original tool load)

Does NC require titles for trailers under a certain weight? TX does not so a bill of sale suffices for getting plates/tags.

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The official govt answer is it is a Pioneer Tool Trailer. It lost it's identity as a M116A2 when the tool box was added. This is the same as the MKT kitchen trailer. By the book, it is no longer a M104 nor the NSN nor the LIN. I'd say that's my 2 cents but actually it's worth $10.65.
I was thinking that. I never saw a M... listed for the trailer. I knoew it's not a M116A2, but didn't know if there was another model number somewhere.

So, for the VIN... would I use the trailer serial number of the Pioneer serial number? GP used the Pioneer, but it also goes back to the trailer serial number being bairly engraved/scratched into the trailer data plates

My take is Make: McGraw Commercial
Model: Trailer 2 wheel
Weight: 1500 (this is the empty weight which is not given, scale it or guess)
GVWR: 3000 (this is the weight of the trailer with the original tool load)

Does NC require titles for trailers under a certain weight? TX does not so a bill of sale suffices for getting plates/tags.
Yes, I do need a title to get plates. I have paperwork for one of my M100 Trailers, which is waiting on an answer from the DMV. I could technically run the M100s without plates, there's a personal use exemption/clause, but with the Pioneer I really want it since I will be loading tools in it and probably hauling it around more often than either of the M100s get used.

-------------------

Who makes good repro M116A2 data plates? found plenty of M116A2E1 or similar... but no just plain A2, and most were on that auction place.

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Was just loading some tool boxes into the trailer (main reason I bought it) and found a Coleman Vantage Series generator user manual. There's also a miniaturized, laminated copy of the XVIII Airborne Corps Risk Assessment Worksheet inside the door. the data plate, inside curb side, is in very good condition. didn't open up the street side.

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
20151210_163612.jpg

Question on these... If I want to replace the fender... would a M416 work? one side is bent in relatively well. and both have a decent amount of rust on the interior of the fender.

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You know, from pictures the fenders sure do look a lot alike and I wondered the same thing. However I don't have an M416 or that newer style pioneer tool trailer. But on my older style pioneer tool trailers, I would think replacing a fender would be a lot of body work. On my older style, the fender is only attached to the cargo body, and is recessed 1" into the body interior.

I'm not sure how well you can see it with these pictures I have on hand, but on both of these trailers pictured below, a common rust point was along that exterior body seam where the side and fender meet. The "simple" replacement would be to cut off the fender on the outside of the body and weld it on to another trailer, but that wouldn't do anything to address the common rust point.

2016-02-28 17.17.14.jpg 2016-02-21 18.15.49.jpg 2016-02-21 18.15.05.jpg

Last edited:

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
m416 fenders are closer in design to the fenders on the older short body tool trailers but they are not a match for either. They should work but they will sit higher up if mounted even with the bottom of the frame. If you cut them at the corners and flattened them out a bit they might work good.

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You know, from pictures the fenders sure do look a lot alike and I wondered the same thing. However I don't have an M416 or that newer style pioneer tool trailer. But on my older style pioneer tool trailers, I would think replacing a fender would be a lot of body work. On my older style, the fender is only attached to the cargo body, and is recessed 1" into the body interior.

I'm not sure how well you can see it with these pictures I have on hand, but on both of these trailers pictured below, a common rust point was along that exterior body seam where the side and fender meet. The "simple" replacement would be to cut off the fender on the outside of the body and weld it on to another trailer, but that wouldn't do anything to address the common rust point.
I'm about 90% sure that mine aren't recessed in like that, but it's something I haven't even looked at... weird they did that.

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
m416 fenders are closer in design to the fenders on the older short body tool trailers but they are not a match for either. They should work but they will sit higher up if mounted even with the bottom of the frame. If you cut them at the corners and flattened them out a bit they might work good.
Gotcha, was hoping for a "plug and play" result.

Landbarger

I'm wondering if the replacement might be most readily accomplished with a sheet metal brake and a welder. If you're going to have to buy fenders, cut the corners, re-bend it, re-weld the corners, then rivet/weld it to the trailer...I'd rather just bend new metal the right way once, weld the notches, and stick it on there.

**Having said that, I don't know how complex the connection is to the trailer body so I could be underestimating the work involved.

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Agreed. It may be simpler that way. I'm not overly concerned, it was just a thought of "if this is this simple, just do it" vs. the longer more complicated version.

NEIOWA

Could you post the dimension of the inside and rear door?

Receiving a fresh rebuild for my FD after a bunch of messing around. Very few of these left (and not in this condition) does not compute with the surplus system.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks