• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My 1992 M923a2 is home!

bricksrkids

So what was your solution for your recovery? Did you fly? Drive? Have someone pick you up? Always good to close out a thread.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...deas-for-picking-up-my-newly-purchased-M923a2

Glad your trip was uneventful. Good looking truck.

I was having a hard time finding a way to get to Boyne City, MI so I ended up renting a car here in GA and driving straight through. The guy who delivered the truck for the seller was so nice. He followed me 20 miles to return the rental and then I just headed south.

I figured if the truck wasn't what I expected, I would just turn the rental around and come home. But once I saw the truck I had no worries. It really is a super clean, well maintained truck. It had just been serviced a few months ago at a Cummins dealer. It was easy to make the decision to buy it and head out.

Being a 1992 I figured the last should be better than the earlier production models. Plus it went through a rebuild in 2010 and then the guy who rescued it went through it top to bottom.

I have learned one important thing from fellow SS member 73m819 after talking for a long time on the phone and seeing some trucks in person. REBUILT MEANS NOTHING. I've seen so many trucks that were rebuilt in 2010 that still have many needs. What I learned is it's worth more to buy something sorted, not rebuilt. I got lucky to find one that had both been rebuilt by the military AND completely sorted out by the guy who recovered it from GL.

By the way, if anyone ever needs a truck recovered contact 73m819. He's the man. If I didn't have the time to drive it back I would have paid him without a second thought to bring my truck home.

bricksrkids

Glad you had a smooth trip and welcome to OD Fever. I've used the following on my wife to have more than 1 vehicle at a time. I tell the "Boss", " Honey, let's get this MV that's for sale, and after "we" get it, I some how forget to sell the 1st MV that we bought." Of course this really works good if you suggest that she go shopping for some shoes or a purse before you ask for the new MV. Your mileage may vary, but the rewards are Great. Regards
Oh, oh, I know the tricks... But so does my wife. I told her that I want to buy an HMMWV now and that I'll sell the m923a2 if I find one. She said, "Sure, you'll put the truck up for sale.... How much you asking? $100,000 or best offer?" She knows... Man she knows.

ClarkeF

A couple comments about rolling the sides up. Much easier with one or two helpers. Also if you roll it up from the inside, you don't make a nice rainwater collector. Keeps the tarp a little cleaner as stuff can't build up in the gutter like channel.

cheers,

clarke