• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My 1st HMMWV from GP

majorhavoc67

First time I ever bid on a GP truck and I won. Not sure if that's a good omen or bad? I'm sure time will tell. Does anyone polish the clear gauge cluster faces when they are worn and cloudy or is their a source to buy the clear lens without having to buy the entire gauge? I was a medic then medical NCO in the Army for 22 years, so when I saw this M1035A2 I figured it was a sign. lol.
HMMWV 1.jpg

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
First time I ever bid on a GP truck and I won. Not sure if that's a good omen or bad? I'm sure time will tell. Does anyone polish the clear gauge cluster faces when they are worn and cloudy or is their a source to buy the clear lens without having to buy the entire gauge? I was a medic then medical NCO in the Army for 22 years, so when I saw this M1035A2 I figured it was a sign. lol.
View attachment 917943
Clean them with a baby wipe or something to get the dirt off and use aluminum polish and a microfiber towel to polish it back to new. Works on the Speedo sticker too

sue

Headlight restoration kits will work if it's really bad. Otherwise, paint is a plastic so any product that restores the appearance of paint will work on the gauge faces too.
It’s funny we got ours from the Nebraska national guard in Lincoln, about
4 years ago 6K miles
runs great.

frauhansen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
*snip* Does anyone polish the clear gauge cluster faces when they are worn and cloudy "snip*
Mine where cloudy as well. And i pollished it with the same you would use for headlights.
Just bought a set at some random car parts store.
This exactly: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mothers-...s_ad_id=565706&campaign_id=9383&sharedid=cnet

I used it for plastic headlights and for the gauges as well. But with one very important addition!!!
The polishing plates are too large for the small gauges in the dashboard. You would then grind the paint off the bezels.
So I bought a smaller sanding disc and smaller sanding pads on ebay. I sand everything down with these when wet and then use the polishing paste and polisher from the set.
Pay attention to how you sand the wheel. The sanding pad easily gets caught between the glass and the frame.

IMG_9735.jpeg
before
IMG_1954.jpeg
after

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The bows on that model are rare as they are taller than the regular ones for the ambo tops which are one piece.
Sportsmanguide had the tops years ago before the flood of hmmwvs.
Did not realize this model was now being surplused.

Love to see interior pics. Nice score

majorhavoc67

Mine where cloudy as well. And i pollished it with the same you would use for headlights.
Just bought a set at some random car parts store.
This exactly: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mothers-...s_ad_id=565706&campaign_id=9383&sharedid=cnet

I used it for plastic headlights and for the gauges as well. But with one very important addition!!!
The polishing plates are too large for the small gauges in the dashboard. You would then grind the paint off the bezels.
So I bought a smaller sanding disc and smaller sanding pads on ebay. I sand everything down with these when wet and then use the polishing paste and polisher from the set.
Pay attention to how you sand the wheel. The sanding pad easily gets caught between the glass and the frame.

View attachment 918175
before
View attachment 918174
after
Cool! Does the glass pop out of the bezel or are they fixed?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks