• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My 2007 M1084A1 rebuild begins

agazza2

A little background on the truck first to start my journey of rebuilding this M1084A1 truck. The truck came out of Joint Base Lewis McChord, WA. It was assigned to the 5th Battalion, 3rd Field Artillery. It has the CAT C7 Ascert motor. Going through the manuals that are available, they do not list the Hiab 133 ATD-2 crane that is on the truck. Hiab brochure on this crane states they are specifically developed to handle missile and rocket canisters. The facebook page for 5th Battalion, 3rd Field Artillery shows a few of these trucks in use for this purpose, and also loading the M1095 trailer with the canisters.

My journey has begun to identify the broken parts on the motor (Fuel filter base), drain water from the turbo, and inter-cooler, and change out the oil and filter. The oil cap was left off, and top of air cleaner was not on the vehicle. I checked inside the head, and the water did not make it all the up there except for a few splashes of water possibly during transport. The motor turns over by hand easily. A light coating of ATF fluid was put on the valve guides for any water contamination.

Next will be to change out the cab, hook all the airlines up to the dryer, and install missing or damaged parts ( CTIS valve body/controller, drivers door, quarter side window). I am trying to locate the manual for the Hiab 133 ATD-2 crane. If I could use the crane with the manual pump, it does have the length to lift off the cab. Otherwise I will be hiring a crane to come out and lift both cabs. Here are a few photos of the truck and the start of my rebuild journey. A special thanks to Matt Lane for the assistance with getting the Cab, and helping with unloading the truck from the transport. And Alex Vinson for parting with the cab, and Tim Filson who is helping with parts for this rebuild.

Attachments

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I had a truck like that a few years ago. Air cleaner top left off. Sat for 2 years. No water in the engine though. Filled the intercooler. That had to be completely flushed. Soaked the turbo in break free oil and got it completely clean and it actually worked fine. Water in the air compressor inlet had to take that apart and clean it. Fired right up after that ran great. Crazy how the military has no regard for the stuff after they put it to the side for disposal. 5 minutes of someones time with duct tape and some plastic would have saved so much trouble.

agazza2

I had a truck like that a few years ago. Air cleaner top left off. Sat for 2 years. No water in the engine though. Filled the intercooler. That had to be completely flushed. Soaked the turbo in break free oil and got it completely clean and it actually worked fine. Water in the air compressor inlet had to take that apart and clean it. Fired right up after that ran great. Crazy how the military has no regard for the stuff after they put it to the side for disposal. 5 minutes of someones time with duct tape and some plastic would have saved so much trouble.
yes, it would be so easy for them to take preventative measures to keep the trucks in good condition. I need to pull the intercooler on mine so I can empty the water. I am glad that filled with water and not the motor. I will also check the air compressor inlet as you suggested. Thanks

agazza2

The Hiab crane shows it will reach out to 17' and still have a 5000lb lift capability. I was hoping in manual mode this reach would be enough to get to the cab. Yesterday I used the manual pump and extended the crane out. It has about 1.5' more it can go, but will not completely reach the center of the cab for lifting. 1 pump = 1" of travel. Whooo, my arms are sore.

Attachments

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Since the cab is trash just put a chain through the turret cover and front windshield (it's already gone). Disconnect the hydraulic cylinder lines and pull it with a truck. You're way overdoing this. I say this from experience when I parted out a M1078A1R with cab damage and used this method with a forklift to pull it forward.

agazza2

I should have a crane available this week to come out and lift the old cab off, and the new one on. Fabricated up a lift bracket, so the new cab will go on easily by a hired crane. The hired cranes have a tight schedule, and charge by the hour. Spent some time with the Hiab crane in manual mode this weekend setting up the lift bracket for the new cab. Also worked on putting back on some missing air brake hoses. Still need to have two hoses made up for the rear axles. Putting my list together of all the parts I still need.

Attachments

agazza2

Interesting coil over shock design on newer model.
Yes, the coil over shock design is definitely heavy duty. Trying to research the years they started to put this design on, as I seen some posting were people said they have a A1R and still have the old design shock assemble. And the differences between a A1 and A1R.

agazza2

What a beautiful truck. Saw that come up here and believe a few of the group even put some bids on it. Cant wait to see the progress.
Thank you. I look forward to restoring it, could not see it being used as a parts vehicle. With the Hiab crane, the production numbers are low. Going to keep it fully original. Would like to make a replica set of tubes that it would have carried, to support the HIMARS. This replica would only be put on the truck for the vehicle shows and parades. This truck might be one of the ones pictured on the 5th Battalion 3rd Field Artillery Facebook page. The last 3 numbers are 204. There is one pictured that matches up with this one that has the last 3 numbers of 204 that is lifting the tubes as part of one base training. This unit looks quite amazing on their training. If I was one enough I would definitely join this unit. :)

Photo Reference: https://www.facebook.com/5thBN3rdFA/

Attachments

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It will go on the new cab. Part of the reason I chose this truck over others that were in better condition.
Agree with that. Ring is hard to come by and $$$$. Just double checking that you didn’t plan to scrap it along with the crumplecab.

agazza2

I realized I have not updated my post in awhile. I have been busy every weekend since I received the truck working on the rebuild. The summer heat came way to quick in Phoenix, which resulted in working only a few hours in the mornings on it before the temps were to hot. I had it out for a quick drive for a Birthday party drive by and short drive this weekend. A few more small items to finish on the truck including painting the frame rails, and underneath.

Also rebuild the grab rail on the drivers side. The marker lights on the front of the cab will be wired as strobes that flash alternating using a ambulance control box. two additional strobes will be added to the rear to use when the crane is being operated.

Still have to check the power going to the crane. Had to replace the PTO pressure solenoid, PTO engage connector. Someone had removed these items at auction or at the base. The connector was cut off the harness.

Attachments

Last edited:

agazza2

Here are a few photos with the crane up during a car show. And a few photos of the SanTan Fabworks M2HB I assembled to be used during shows for display. I still need to do some final welding on the barrel, and look at blueing the complete assemble.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks