• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

my 4l80e learning experience

richingalveston

tripple stick

I was going to do the tripple stick. cant see doing the doubler without all the mods.
I thought the 203 was steel thats why it is better than 241 but was not sure.

either the 241 or the 203 with the 205 gets rid of all chains, I think the 241 has a slightly lower gear than the 203 but may be wrong on that.

I do wonder about the length difference in 203 and 241. I may give up the steel case 203 if the 241 would be shorter. the tranny housing output is alluminum so it is probably the week point anyway.

The t-case and lift will probably going to take another 3 to 4 months for me to complete, I am not in a hurry and want to get it done right the first time.

At this time my 1009 is being built with the following:
keeping 6.2, may turbo later
4l80e with controler.
203/205 doubler with tripple stick, no slip yokes. (possible 241/205)
double cross member
new driveshafts both ends.
d60 front with elocker
14 bolt rear with gov lock
4:10 gears
37 inch tires (maybe bigger but not smaller)
not sure on rims at this time.
6 inch lift from Ord (shackle flip) probably tuff country ez ride springs
got 87 burb front seats I plan to put on air ride bases.
have tilt column and electric windows from burb,
wiring harness from burb for rear window but need regulator and motor.
truck has been repainted with gillespie forest green (base for woodland camo) and has all new rubber on windows and doors.
truck has been insulated heavily with LMC kits. (several of them)
Plastic dash cover installed and one day a new one.
plan on adding stereo and cb and lots of lights.
roof rack for spare tire.
rear hvac I got from burb.

I have all of the parts except lift, transfer case, seat bases, electronics, tires and rims.

transfer case is my current priority then lift and tires and rims. seat bases are on the way just waiting for my mechanic to pick up the wrecked kenworth. I have my design and metal already for the roof rack, plan to start that build in my spare time.

I hope to have it on the road by thanksgiving. mods other than drive train will happen hopefully by the end of this year.

I think the difference though between the 203 and 241 gear ratios, wont be noticed much at all, given the fact... its recomemded per ORD to leave the 203 in High, until you already have the 205 in low and need to go lower... meaning its not recomended to run the 203 in low and 205 in high.... and being in low / low... WOW... it just creeps along.... I'm debating on another mod to do to help when in low / low... and put in a pull choke style secondary throttle cable... as with the 6.2L and the low gearing.. anything to help ease from lugging the drivetrain will help keep from weakening or breaking a mount or something... it literally lugs around like an ole international tractor...

richingalveston

maybe you can trick your high idle

If you just want the rpm up a little in Low/Low you could probably add a secondary switch to put power to the high idle solonoid that allready exist on the throttle assembly. It would not be adjustable like a choke but it would keep the rpm probably above 1200 rpm (you may be able to adjust it higher). It would also be safer than a pull style. A panic stop with the cable may be more difficult and possibly dangerous if you let someone else drive it.

I have heard that the 205 should be used as primary low and 203 as secondary low/low. They dont really advertise the propper operation.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks