• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My 5 Ton continues to earn its keep!!

jd-ford-hd

We had to do some off-highway hauling at a Corps of Engineers dam near here, so why not use my new brute just to see how it handles a load!! The photos show the M818 pulling a 40ft. flatbed (also bought from GL @ Norfolk, Va). We were moving block off plates weighing 17,000 lbs. each that had been blasted and painted. These plates are used to hold back the water when the gates of the dam need repair. The M818 was up to the task and performed flawlessly hauling a payload of 25 tons !!

Attachments

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Wow Great to see her pulling her weight around and helping even after many years of serving the Army. I only hope to be so productiv when I finally get around to retiring.

Thanks for posting the great pictures any more would be great to see too.

rockman

What a deal, getting a tractor that can work at these prices is unbelievable. Is it titled to work or pleasures?

thanks for posting.

Bill

jd-ford-hd

Re: RE: My 5 Ton continues to earn its keep!!

rockman said:
What a deal, getting a tractor that can work at these prices is unbelievable. Is it titled to work or pleasures?

thanks for posting.

Bill
I stated in my EUC that this truck would be used for off-highway operations and intend to use it just for that. It will be used much like a farm tractor for operations requiring very low speed/rough terrain/soft terrain/steep terrain work. We often work on cell phone tower sites that are always located at the highest elevations in a geographical area, in Tennessee that means "mountain tops" !! If you notice a cell phone tower sometime, look at the base and you will see a concrete building, probably, that houses all the electronic equipment for that site. Moving these precast concrete equipment buildings that can weigh up to 80,000 lbs. up a steep mountain road is not the forte of the shiny, long wheel base, twin stack Peterbilts that deliver to the site from the mfg. This is where the M818 will really prove itself, I hope. Thanks for viewing and thanks for the comments.

alphadeltaromeo

RE: Re: RE: My 5 Ton continues to earn its keep!!

Fantastic pics! Thanks for sharing them and the story. I'm still working on getting mine licensed properly so that I can enjoy it as well. Glad to see that your 818 is being put to good use!

Andy

Oh, keep the pics coming *grin*

jd-ford-hd

Fantastic pics! Thanks for sharing them and the story. I'm still working on getting mine licensed properly so that I can enjoy it as well. Glad to see that your 818 is being put to good use!

Andy

Oh, keep the pics coming *grin*
Had to relocate a fire lookout tower and the M818 did its part hauling the top half of the tower into the field where the tower was to be erected.

Attachments

54reo

We had to do some off-highway hauling at a Corps of Engineers dam near here, so why not use my new brute just to see how it handles a load!! The photos show the M818 pulling a 40ft. flatbed (also bought from GL @ Norfolk, Va). We were moving block off plates weighing 17,000 lbs. each that had been blasted and painted. These plates are used to hold back the water when the gates of the dam need repair. The M818 was up to the task and performed flawlessly hauling a payload of 25 tons !!
What dam are the spillgate stoplogs for?

Nice looking M818 BTW...

ABN173

awsome! I just bought my first MV a M1009 I can see I'm going to get more MV's Thanks for sharing the pics!

CW2 Campbell

mightyhammer

Sorry...I have to do this....I always have to chuckle a bit when someone from back east claims to have mountains....:mrgreen: (by the way before you go off, I have spent plenty of time in and through the Cumberlands)....thoser foothills son...LOL

jd-ford-hd

Sorry...I have to do this....I always have to chuckle a bit when someone from back east claims to have mountains....:mrgreen: (by the way before you go off, I have spent plenty of time in and through the Cumberlands)....thoser foothills son...LOL
Alright then, lets get the measuring tape!! I bet mine is bigger!! LOL!!

jd-ford-hd

A few more pics of the tower job.

After the 5 ton got the top half moved, my John Deere was called in to move the bottom half on site. Then my 40 ton and my 120 ton cranes took it from there!!

Attachments

antennaclimber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice tower pictures.

Glad to see that the 5 ton is helping out in the tower business. Draging concrete buildings and assiciated materials to moutain tops is not easy work.

Here are a few pictures from the top end of the tower and one that we stacked a while back.

Antenna changeout at 320 ft, stacking a 260 ft guyedtower and microwave antenna changeout at 560ft.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks