• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My 5 ton from Smryna, TN battery installation

jd-ford-hd

This post is probably redundant, but for the new folks like me this may be helpful
to see how I addressed the battery replacement. The batteries in my truck would
take no charge at all, so I decided to use 2 large 12 volt instead of the 4 smaller
12 volt batteries. The battery I used is a 4DLT. It is similar to a regular 4D except it
is a lower profile which makes it work better in the M818 bat boxes without any modifications to the box or cover. This size is produced to fit certain farm tractors and are much easier to get than the original M818 battery.

Attachments

jd-ford-hd

Re: RE: My 5 ton from Smryna, TN battery installation

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus said:
What does the Coop charge you for these? Nice way of doing it I have all kinds of different batteries in my trucks.
They were about $148.00 each.

GIJoeCzar

Steel Soldiers Supporter
4D batteries in M809 series truck

I have the same question as David; how much are you paying for the new 4DLT batteries. At $65/each it's a great deal; at $140/each one might as well spend a few more $20/bills and get the correct 6TLs, no? Both the 6TL and 4DLT put out about 850 Cold Cranking Amps. I'm about ready to start using Walmart or Fleet Farm batteries in all my trucks, so when they do go, I can at least have them pro-rated and get something back ...

jd-ford-hd

RE: 4D batteries in M809 series truck

Oh well, the 6TLs are not on anyones shelf here but the 4DLTs are. 4 batteries = twice as many connections to corrode and maintain. The 4 6TLs are overkill just like everything else the military specs because they gotta go when its time to go!! The 2 4DLTs spin the 855 cube Cummins like a 2300cc Pinto motor!!

beaubeau

RE: 4D batteries in M809 series truck

I got an old GMC with a 6-71Detroit that originally took 4 12 volt bats, now I have bee running one large bat,and it starts great. What ever works and Lasts!! I got 2 12volt batts in my deuce from auto zone, and they put out 1000 cca. VNot too expencive either. Phil

Re: RE: 4D batteries in M809 series truck

jd-ford-hd said:
Oh well, the 6TLs are not on anyones shelf here but the 4DLTs are. 4 batteries = twice as many connections to corrode and maintain. The 4 6TLs are overkill just like everything else the military specs because they gotta go when its time to go!! The 2 4DLTs spin the 855 cube Cummins like a 2300cc Pinto motor!!
I wonder how they would do up here where it's not allways warm?

jd-ford-hd

Re: RE: 4D batteries in M809 series truck

DaveP said:
jd-ford-hd said:
I wonder how they would do up here where it's not allways warm?
That 'll be one of them deals where you just don't know till you try it!! I would think the 2 4DLTs should be good for 20 degrees f and warmer for sure, and if everything is top notch like the compression of the motor(builds the heat to ignite fuel), starter not draggy, preheater working, etc. the 4DLTs would probably work down to 10 degrees f. Even the military knew what they spec'd was not fool proof aka the quick connect slave(jumper) system for the boosts!! Its been 70 or warmer since I put these in and it starts perfectly! After removing the 4 6LTs I found only one of them was actually bad enough(dead cell) that it would not take charge, but since they are paired parallel and then those two pairs are hooked series, the one bad battery screwed up the whole deal!!