• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My 880

Robert Denton

Hi Guys,
I've had My 880 for about 15 years now (odo reads 50,563 and counting) and use it for my regular driver around town.
I'v had a few small problems and wonder if there is any advice you might impart to me. I'll list the problems quickly.

1. if it sits three days sounds won't start easy if at all but starts with ether. Sounds like carb reserve (original carb)is evaporating or leaking. Carberateurs available anywhere? More economical ones possibly? New fuel pump installed 4 months ago.

2. I installed of of those depot rebuilt front axles 8 months ago because of u-joints shot front right side and weak on left needed brakes also. No grease points. As luck would have it the retention ring on the new axle r-front u-joint is coming loose I had to tap it back on because I just happen to be underneath and found it. any suggestions for getting some lubrication into those or do I have to take each side apart and try to find a better u-joint with some kind of grease fitting?

3. Tranny torq converter leak down from sitting more than one day, but tranny guy told me to save my money and time and just put the trans. in neutral upon starting and it would fill up in 3-5 secs. He said Mopars Torq-Flite tranny notorious for that. I've actually been doing that for 4 years now with no apparent problem ,but is there an engine to axle power loss there that will show up as less miles per gallon? Also has anyone put one of those depot rebuilt trannies in one yet and if so how has it performed? I would do it, but I'm not sure if an auto transmission seals would break down or gum up if there's fluid inside that would have gummed up over time.
Is there another modern Tranny I might get out of a junkyard that would fit right in that might have overdrive. It would help with the little road trips I take.

Over the years i've put new

1. Alternator
2. Fuel pump
3. Exhaust system
4. Brakes
5. Radiator
6. Re-upholstered seat
7. New main springs in rear/ rebuilt overloads
8. Disassembled/re-assembled rear bumper, repainted it
9. Re-enforced back end of chassis
Water pump is next

and numerous other little things but the truck owes me nothing and has never stopped running once started. Thanks for any help.

Bob

Last edited:

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Carbs at most auto parts along with rebuild kits. May have to order but usually come in quick 1-2 days

N1265

If mine sits for a couple of days I have to pump the gas pedal 4-6 times, hold it 1/2 way to the floor then crank till it starts. ( 3-5 seconds at a time ) never had to turn the key more than 3 times when doing it this way. My timing is set a little advanced ( I think 6 deg. ) you can get NOS carbs on e-bay from time to time but they are over priced IMHO. you can get the rebuild kits just about anywhere for under $20.

As for more economical carbs, good luck.... remember these are full time 4WD trucks with 4:10 gears and no overdrive, if you are getting 10 to 13 MPG your getting what everybody else is. I get 9.8 MPG with the cargo cover up and about 11 MPG with it down ( 55-60 MPH highway )

They do make a replacement u-joint that has a grease fitting, ( I think MOOG makes them ) But I would not change them out until they go bad, The sealed ones last longer than you might think.

goodbrewing

I read something here awhile ago that makes good sense to me. The old fuel lines deteriorate over the years and little pieces break off and get into the fuel pump and allow the fuel to flow back to the tank if parked for a few days. It takes a bit of cranking to pump the fuel back up to the carb. Mine has done this as long as I have owned it. The cure is to change your rubber lines and put a new pump in. Another fix is to put a fuel filter right before the fuel pump to stop the pieces from getting in.
I wouldn't change the joints until they fail. Look closely and see if there is something causing the clip to come loose.
Can't offer any advice on the trans. I rebuilt mine and it has worked great for years. Not a task for everybody but if you decide to tackle it the biggest thing is making sure everything is cleaned spotless inside.
Good luck.

Amer-team

Check and or replace your rubber fuel lines first before you go for the carb. Especially look for the one on top of the tank that goes from the tank to the hardline. It is a bugger to get without pulling the tank, but if you take down the driveline it is possible.

Carbs are readily available at any of the better parts stores.

Good luck on the rest.