• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My "ACE and a Half"

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
NICE project and well executed.

I have been eyeballing a truck for its cab to put on my M923. My wife hate the truck and won't ride in it. The cab in your project is the same as the one I have been looking at and I like it because it has more of a nose than most vans.

My reservation is can I make a big enough hole in the firewall to cover the back of the engine and will the front fit over the radiator. I was thinking that I would take the fenders, the hood and the grill and weld them together and hinge in the front. From what measurements I have made, I would have to open up the wheel wells.

Got an opinion?

Me thinks there is more than one way to skin a cat.

(But that's a rather SICK THOUGHT best reserved for around an SS Rally Campfire.)

This ACE AND A HALF is built on a motorhome frame. Scabbing a Van Cutaway Cab onto a Deuce frame would be an entirely more complicated matter. Me thinks FRANKENSTEIN.

:mrgreen::jumpin::popcorn:rofl:popcorn::jumpin::mrgreen:

KaiserM109

Wow!! What a deep rabbit hole, following that link, then a link in that link, etc. I got lost in Gamma Goat Land!

That Chevy (not a CUCV) on a deuce frame adds fuel to my fire, except one thing confuses me, did he keep the Chevy frame and just stick it on the deuce frame? If not, what is the Chevy bumper bolted onto?

To gunboy1657 back in 2011, that's not an M715 either, it's either a J10 or a J20 Jeep, I think J20 by what little piece of the front fender you can see. That gives me a new idea, I have a J20 in pieces, except if I put the cab back together and find all the little parts, I'd just finish it out as the original truck, which my daughter wrecked.

Attachments

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Chevy body on a Deuce frame. The truck is long gone so no idea on how the bumper was mounted.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you are coming the the GA rally make sure patracy brings you the brush guard.

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So the truck is back in NY because its had a nagging vibration that has really worried me. My older boy did some work on the front end (not related) and started bird dogging any causes of the vibration. Turns out both motor mounts are broken, so we are going to have to replace those when I get back up north. Should be back to 100% again then.

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The motor mounts were broken, but that vibration is still there. Had to run a load south, and I think I really hurt it. There was a cut out piece of road missing on Rt 81 and I nailed it, fully loaded at 70 MPH. Hit so hard it made my shoulder hurt that was resting on the door. Going in the shop on Thursday, I just don't have time to figure it out. I know it knocked the alignment waaayyy out, and might have bent a trailing arm. We shall see.

thz71

The motor mounts were broken, but that vibration is still there. Had to run a load south, and I think I really hurt it. There was a cut out piece of road missing on Rt 81 and I nailed it, fully loaded at 70 MPH. Hit so hard it made my shoulder hurt that was resting on the door. Going in the shop on Thursday, I just don't have time to figure it out. I know it knocked the alignment waaayyy out, and might have bent a trailing arm. We shall see.
Any updates?

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Any updates?
It turns out I bent a rim and the steering stabilizer which was forcing the steering to the left. Seems to be doing well now. Just made another trip loaded HEAVY and it performed great.

I I really think it's time with me may be winding down though. Just not sure if I'm ready to let him go.

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well "Clyde" is still with me and made a trip with a couple friends to MDMorgans place in GA to pick up the 280 shelter for Terrance. This truck just loves to work. Some times I'm really glad it didn't sell.

IMG_0564.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks