• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My air pack cracked??? Is this common??

cyamaha2007

So i woke the deuce from a 6 month slumber after checking all the systems and changing and topping off all fluids it started right up but the brake pedal would go to the floor with full air pressure. So before moving it i do some detective work to see a crack in the cast iron part of the airpack. I drained the air tanks and oiled the pack before i put it away. Did the cold do this. Its a hairline crack. Uggh The brakes worked perfect way better than a friends deuce that he rebult everything. Thanks

stancanpara

:ditto: If your master cylinder is good, the brake pedal shouldn't go to the floor even with NO air in your system... Is your hairline crack leaking brake fluid???
nopics

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not a common failure at all.:???:
And yes, if the AP slave cylinder is cracked it may leak. ANY leak downstream of the MC means the pedal will go to the floor, sooner or later, if you keep pushing....

G.

DieselBob

The only reason I can think the cylinder would crack over the winter would be if a water bubble was in the cylinder around that area and the temps got low enough for it to freeze and expand. On the other hand I would think the brake fluid would push back into the MC as the bubble expanded and not build enough force to crack the housing. Being on the fluid side of the system draining the air tank wouldn't effect this area.

cyamaha2007

As i press the pedal you can hear and feel air coming out of the crack. The air is not under high pressure but more from a plunger/piston moving.