• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MY Airpack Rebuild with Photos!

dozer1

I was taught that it is best just to use whichever brake fluid you are going to use esp for seals that hold brake fluid in. Now if there is some o-rings in an area that only seals air and not brake fluid, the forementioned o-ring lube or air tool oil should do the trick.

DeucesWild11

Ok, I calmed down a little now.. that WD40 scared me for a minute.. I googled it and found this scientific study on chemicals and oils and what effect they have on O rings.. Based on the study looks like the O ring doused in WD40 was OK no sign of any change. Not saying it's the best thing but at least I feel better that it didn't show it swelling or shrinking.. Attached pic shows the findings of the study.. but here is the link.. it's pretty interesting.. What ever you do Don't use Carb Cleaner or Gasoline on O rings!

Chain O-ring WD-40 exposure effects study and results - ADVrider

Attachments

ARYankee

I'm sorry if I freaked you out but that is what I was always told as well. Don't use WD40 on O rings or anything that was oil based. I was told that it wasn't good.

reloader64

Thanks for the write-up. I need to rebuild mine and honestly, I've been stalling. It doesn't look all that difficult. Also, thanks for the part numbers on the cylinder hones. I'll try to get my air-pack off the truck this afternoon. I already have the rebuild kit.

Scott

DeucesWild11

Good luck Scott, it's not that bad if you take your time and be patient about it. If you are fairly mechanically inclined it should be no problem. There are no real tricky spots just your standard springs and bolts. Just be careful not to scratch up the piston rod when taking the piston off the top. There should be a screwdriver slot at the top which would help you keep it from turning as you take the nut off the top. If that doesn't work use a vise with soft jaws or put two pieces of wood in between so that you don't scratch up the piston rod.

If you run into any issues PM me with your # and I'll try to help.

The only somewhat tricky seals were these (pics) getting them off and then back on.. With the first pic it was a little hard getting the old seals off and over the larger part on both ends but they do stretch enough, just lube up the new ones a little.

Attachments

seabeeut

Thanks looking at the same job coming up
still undecided about rebuilding or just buy new to get the truck on the road
then play with the old one?

dezert ratt

uploadfromtaptalk1328998356737.jpg time for a 5ton airpack rebuild. Just checked my brake fluid, it was empty. Looked under the truck and saw brake fluid residue on the airpack vent. :eek:

DeucesWild11

An Airpack vent cool! Guess they thought about the 5 ton a little.. Mine spit at me through the slobber tube as I was right in front of it! Guess I got lucky..Ha.

DeucesWild11

So now that the Airpack is rebuilt I wanted to drive it around today. I still had trouble getting up hills. The truck just slows down. It started to smell like brakes... crap.. turned around and went back home, only out about 3 miles round trip. Walked around the truck to check for hot hubs. The back two were warm and the front were cold... I assume I need to break down the rear hubs and rebuild the wheel cylinders.. That's my thought.. any suggestions?

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So now that the Airpack is rebuilt I wanted to drive it around today. I still had trouble getting up hills. The truck just slows down. It started to smell like brakes... crap.. turned around and went back home, only out about 3 miles round trip. Walked around the truck to check for hot hubs. The back two were warm and the front were cold... I assume I need to break down the rear hubs and rebuild the wheel cylinders.. That's my thought.. any suggestions?
Before I tear everything apart, I'd first check that the brakes are indeed adjusted correctly. It is very easy to get them too tight. If the adjustment is correct and they still run too warm, then I'd start lifting those drums off....

DeucesWild11

Before I tear everything apart, I'd first check that the brakes are indeed adjusted correctly. It is very easy to get them too tight. If the adjustment is correct and they still run too warm, then I'd start lifting those drums off....
Thanks for your insight.. Hmm how do I adjust or check for adjustment without taking off the drums? If there is an easy way to adjust I'm all for it.. she does stop on a dime now..

Thanks!

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for your insight.. Hmm how do I adjust or check for adjustment without taking off the drums? If there is an easy way to adjust I'm all for it.. she does stop on a dime now..

Thanks!
TM9-2320-209-20-3-2 pages 13-61 to 13-73

There is an inspection cover on each brake drum that allows you to insert a gauge. Pulling the axle shafts makes it easier, unless you can lift all four rears off the ground and place them on axle stands.

dezert ratt

Just talked to eriks military surplus. $165 for a 5 ton airpack rebuild kit. That is cheaper than a $500 airpack. Now im heading to napa auto, to pick up a couple cylinder hones. Even though I have a 5 ton, this thread is still very resourcefull. :thumbup:

DeucesWild11

cattlerepairman, thanks for the tip, I adjusted the rears today.. they were definitely dragging.. ALLOT!! I did the quick adjustment on the top two bolts. Now that I know it was just an adjustment issue I will fine-tune with with the bottom bolts as in the TM.

Thanks again! I was able to get her back up on the road and enjoyed driving around town.. Only put about 100Miles on her since I got her back in Nov.. I was waiting till the brakes were 100%. I can't drive the Deuce without smiling!!:lol::smile:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks