• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My belt issue

sarge1

Hopefully this won't be one that has been covered so much I aggravate everyone. I searched and read through about 15 belt threads before posting, but didn't see anything very close to what I have going on.

I have a issue with all my brand new belts still flopping around too much, especially on idle or when letting off the throttle. The belts are Gates belts from the Wiki, and seem to have good tension. I had the harmonic balancer and crank pulley replaced at the same time the belts went in.

Before I was pretty sure it was the crank pulley/balancer combined with the old belts that were causing the problem because I could physically see the whole bottom pulley assembly wobbling.

Now, it doesn't wobble noticibly, nor do any of my other pullies. Looking from above, everything seems aligned to my eye anyway. Despite the new parts, good tension and seemingly aligned belts, there is still 1"-1.5" of belt travel between the pullies that concerns me and think it will ruin my new belts in short order.

Any ideas on what to look for next?

BIG_RED

Can you see any runout on the pulleys? (looks like they aren't quite round). I used a piece of 1/2" x 1/8" bar steel and lay it across 2 pulleys at a time. Helped me to see alignment better. Also, check the brackets. My power steering bracket cracked and wobbled around (barely at all) and destroyed 2 belts in a month. Good luck!

sarge1

Pretty much just the altenator belts. The passenger side is a lot worse. Tension is similar on both. Just afraid of over tightening as they seem pretty firm as they are.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is your idle too low? Do your belts run smooth at higer speeds? The 6.2 can be a shaker, at low idle. Maybe you have a fowled injector tip, or two?

sarge1

Is your idle too low? Do your belts run smooth at higer speeds? The 6.2 can be a shaker, at low idle. Maybe you have a fowled injector tip, or two?
The idle does seem a little low. When I was looking at multiple trucks, I did notice that mine seemed to idle a little lower than the others. At the time, it seemed like a good thing, but maybe not. They do seem to hold firmer with higher rpm's but for them to be much different, the rpm's really have to be considerably higher than idle so I doubt adjusting the idle woud get rid of the issue.

Would the injector suggestion be a cause for the slightly lower idle you mentioned? I figured a bad injector would be much more noticable than that, with other, bigger issues. Overall, the truck runs great. Thanks for your guys input as I know belt questions have to get old.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would associate a very rough idle with a bad/foulded injector.

In general, a low idle will shake alot with the 6.2.