• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My buddies Ham Shack back up power.

MarkM

CODE BROWN...It's all going to sh~t !
Steel Soldiers Supporter
1000000583.jpgMEP831A generator. 30 gal fuel drum, Iris 24v 1800w inverter. 200ah battery backup and next is 400w solar system. He is also installing power and communication underground cables to run to the house for 220v transfer.

20210713_201719.jpg

123_1.jpeg

20210713_201734.jpg

image000000.jpg

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm really curious about that exhaust setup he's made! Looks great. The gas furnace exhaust fan is a great idea. What's the 55 gallon drum do? I've seen those 1800 watt inverters on gov planet I bet they have a solid sine wave. I never bought one thinking it wasn't big enough but probably works great for him. I forgot the 831 did 220 16 amps if the internet is correct. Most of the 831s for sake lately have been missing the inverter so I passed on them.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Very nice!

Keep an eye on the exhaust bolts on the back of the engine. They have a tendency to break and if not caught quickly it breaks the exhaust where it connects to the muffler. I'm dealing with that issue now on a machine. Its not fun to fix.

And I have one more in the que with the same problem that I have to deal with.

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Very nice!

Keep an eye on the exhaust bolts on the back of the engine. They have a tendency to break and if not caught quickly it breaks the exhaust where it connects to the muffler. I'm dealing with that issue now on a machine. Its not fun to fix.

How did you fix that? Replace the bolts with higher grade? You weld brackets on the manifold to make it not break? Could be something he could use to make his machine safer to run.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The exhaust, I just TIG’d it back together. It looks horrible but TIG isn’t a process that likes dirty material. Had cracks to run out and holes to fill in.

2023-10-29 19.12.26.jpeg

The problem as I see it is the fasteners are undersized for the load on them. I’m going to try a longer bolt with a spacer in hopes the extra length will give a little stretch for the bolts so they don’t snap. There isn’t much space between the engine and starter to do much.

2023-10-29 19.11.54.jpeg

Alternately, I’m going to see if I can make an extra support bracket that takes advantage of the top starter bolt. Space will be the challenge. You still need to be able to remove the starter without removing the exhaust.

The engine has to come out to drill out the bolts. They are high grade so you need a cobolt bit to cut them.

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So the bolts break for the muffler support, then break the pipe out of the muffler. Yeah, I'd want to make that stronger somehow before it breaks. I have a 531 genset, so I know how much that vibrates being a single cylinder as well. Going to the auto world spring loaded gasket mounts are used on a bunch of manufacturers. Wonder if there's a way to change that on the exhaust flange to a molded gasket that size. Would take out some of the vibration to the muffler mount.

2Pbfeet

This is, I think a common issue with the Yanmar single cylinder engines. I have seen solutions that have 6" or so of corrugated stainless flex pipe, but trying to do a 90 degree bend in a flex pipe in that space is not going to work. I have seen some implementations of that engine that have an additional restraint on the engine at the top of the block that limits the travel in start/stop, but doesn't do anything for the large vibrations in normal operation.

I think that @DieselAddict's fix is about as good as you can do, short of starting all over with a different muffler and exhaust piping design.

All the best,

2Pbfeet

MarkM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
He has a vent high up on the roof peak so with the genset is running and that exhaust system is running it moves a buttload of air into the room and the exhaust system pushes out. He has a CO detector and he also has a CO handheld detector with a digital readout and it's nothing.

The drum is diesel fuel reserve. He runs a military 110v to 28v converter for his 24v needs.

Mark

123_1(1).jpeg

20211030_124637.jpg

MarkM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The IRIS inverter is a great pure sign wave setup. Will run 1800w continuously and spike much higher. I have the whole Iris setup new in the box with the slave plug in a pelican case for my HMMWV. It's a very high quality setup used in the HMMWV radio trucks.

Mark

87cr250r

Very nice!

If you have problem bolts that are prone to breaking add a spacer under the head of the bolt and use a longer bolt. Guaranteed to solve your problem.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks