• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My Cheap and Easy Parade Top

Tackettr

I have been thinking of a way to put a Parade Top on and came up with this solution. It is just a standard 9x12 tarp from the local hardware store. I first cut some wood spacers 10" long to drop down in the sides to raise up the bows to allow most people to stand up. Then took the tarp and folded the ends over the end bows and used zip ties and bungees to attach it to the next bow. Then just took some cord and zig-zagged it between the top runner and remaining side grommet holes. It turned out well and held up to highway speeds no problem. One guy can put it on and take it off in no time and not even break a sweat. Passengers said it was perfect.
:-D:-D

Attachments

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you know the standard top can be rolled up on the sides? Mine has straps attached to he bows and top, works pretty neat... Won't have extra height without extending the staves.

Tackettr

Yeap, I know the sides roll up. I have one also, but it is a PITA to mess with and heavy! This thing is lite, can be taken off in no time and can be stored it the tool compartment. Try that with a normal top.:-D

Chief_919

I helped a friend do the exact same thing with a 10x12 canvas tarp. His has been on for 2+ years of all kinds of driving, even at highway speeds.

ARYankee

That is really nice. Thanks for sharing it. That helps me out because my wife and I were looking at some camo tarps this past weekend to use as a canvas for mine. Once I get mine straight I'll post up some pics.

Chief_919

That is really nice. Thanks for sharing it. That helps me out because my wife and I were looking at some camo tarps this past weekend to use as a canvas for mine. Once I get mine straight I'll post up some pics.

My experince is that unless you get heavy canvas or the heavy cordura nylon, they will not last. The Wal-Mart stsyle plastic/poly tarps, even the heavy ones, self destruct very quickly with any driving at normal speeds.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yea, the standard top will make you sweat getting it on by yourself. Maybe one of these days my truck will be nice enough for parade duty.

Unless I need the top for something, I leave it off, no sense in wearing it out. Then I have to get my sorry butt up and down 6 times to install it.

ARYankee

Yeah I figure the tarps will self destruct eventually. I'm just looking for something cheap, simple, and temporary. I'm going to try it out and see. We have a concert we are going to drive ours to and I'm going to put a tarp over the back so we can all hang out back there while waiting for the gates to open. We're going to put some coolers in the back along with a small cheap charcoal grill so we can eat and drink, and be merry during the long wait.

Tackettr

ARYankee, this setup should be fine for you. I normally don't keep a top on mine because the wife keeps me hauling crap for her. So this setup is perfect for me. I can put it on and off by myself in no time. So if I get a couple of years out of it, I'm happy.

The only problem I had was my first trip out of the driveway. I smacked the basketball goal because I didn't account for the extra height I put in the bows!!:oops:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks