• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My CUCV Clone M0009

cucvrus

I bought a body from a 1974 Chevrolet K5 Blazer. It is the model with the complete removable top. This is an easy conversion as I have a few M1009's setting unfinished. This looks like an easy modification and I think it will be pretty cool and unique. I was unable to access the site for the past week. Now I am unable to upload the pictures. I will try again later. I will not get started on this project until 2017 but I wanted to post a few pictures of my diamond in the rough. I traveled a bit for it but have been looking for a full roof K5 Blazer/Jimmy for 10+ years. I finally hit pay dirt a few months ago and went and picked it up this weekend. A new set of rims and it would be a show truck. I tried loading just 1 picture and it would not take. i will try later.

cucvrus

DSCF7549.jpgShes a beauty. A one in a million girl. I have the doors and all. WOW. What a find. DSCF7556.jpgDSCF7555.jpgDSCF7554.jpgDSCF7553.jpgDSCF7550.jpgDSCF7557.jpgSaved this from a crusher at a considerable cost. But IMHO a rare and hard find 40 + years later. Everything I need is in excellent condition. I had an M1009 convoy on the interstate bringing it home. I had today only to get it or the yard was crushing it. They sat it outside in a church lawn and called me. It fit in a 6 X 10 trailer. It was not very heavy in comparison to a complete M1009 body. I removed the doors and the rest of the interior to lighten it up for hand loading. Back at the farm and grazing with the rest of the scrap. Last week scrap was $90. a ton. I took a trailer load of old barbed wire and got $180. for it. I was impressed. And the last time I moved fence. No one would buy the old barbed wire unless it was cut in 3 ft section and loaded in a drum. Yea right. That never happened. I put it in a couple scrap M1009's and ran them thru the crusher.

reaper556

How rare are the full top K5's like that? I have never seen one and didn't even know they made them like that. I never caught on to the one in red dawn shown in the pic above sadly.

Last edited:

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How rare are the full top K5's like that? I have never seen one and didn't even know they made them like that. I never caught on to the one in red dawn shown in the pic above sadly.
They weren't all that rare when built , but they usually started rusting about the same time they left the lot. The big 3 used a lot of low grade recycled metal in the 1970's . here are the production numbers for the blazers ( but remember GMC had their version).

1973 Production Total: 44,841
1974 Production Total: 56,798
1975 Production Total: 50,548
1976 Production Total: 74,389
1977 Production Total: 86,838
1978 Production Total: 88,858
1979 Production Total: 90,987

reaper556

They weren't all that rare when built , but they usually started rusting about the same time they left the lot. The big 3 used a lot of low grade recycled metal in the 1970's . here are the production numbers for the blazers ( but remember GMC had their version).

1973 Production Total: 44,841
1974 Production Total: 56,798
1975 Production Total: 50,548
1976 Production Total: 74,389
1977 Production Total: 86,838
1978 Production Total: 88,858
1979 Production Total: 90,987
Rust doesn't seem to be kind to the K5's at all. I was shopping for a civvy version a while back and none were in my price range that weren't swiss cheese cancer ridden scrap. That's actually how I ended up with a Bronco instead they seemed to fair the years better in the rust department

cucvrus

1973,1974,1975 were the only years for the full top removal in the square body design. 1976 had the half roof like the CUCV. And the windshield on the full roof removal design is taller then the half roof design. Not much but a wee bit.

cucvrus

No Red dawn here. I will either be selling the 1974 convertible conversion kit or installing it on one M1009 I have that is missing a lot of pieces. I am thinking basic BLACK thru and thru. M0009 The Shadow. But I have everything listed for sale and who knows what will develop. I never was a Red Dawn fan. Just didn't do it for me.

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've never seen a Blazer with the full fiberglass top. I'm glad you rescued it and posted pictures. I learned something new today!! :)

CUCVLOVER

Good luck with the project buddy.

I actually spotted a blazer similar to yours but in a little bit better shape. It was still in its wheels and such. It's setting in someone's yard with some more trucks and stuff growing up with weeds. I found it while exploring on the Polaris rzr with the gf. She is not a truck nut and thought the full removable top design was cool. Ya learn something new everyday lol.

I will try to get a pic next time