• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

my cucv ram-air project

jimmy-90

Hello Iv'e been doing some work on my M1028 lately anf figured I'd share. I just added a RACOR spin-on fuel filter,6.5L air cleaner assembly with a MUCH larger air inlet,a 6.5L intake resonator, and some battery relocation to make room for my full-on ram-air conversion!!! It also has a set of dynomax ultra flow welded mufflers with 2 1/2 pipes from the manifolds to tips. I started out just wanting to quiet down that loud droneing noise that comes from the intake so I went to the junkyard and got a 6.5L air cleaner with the matching resonator and plastic flex pipe. After I cleaned that stuff up and soaked the metal parts in rubberized undercoating I put them on the truck and it did quiet it down ALOT but I didn't have anywhere good to really plumb it to. After some inspection I noticed a 4" hole in the radiator support that had a piece of metal tacked over it and walla!!! I wound up getting a couple dollars worth of ducting, a 4" to 3" rubber coupling from pep-boys,and some metal tape to seal the metal pipe to the flex pipe really good.. I also hogged-out the inlet side of the resonator for obvious reasons. I also plan to turn the IP up 1/8th of a turn and add a single plane manifold latter when I get a bigger set of tires on it. Im kinda sceared to make it run any better with the low gears. It already seems like it's runnin soo good that it wants to spin a bearing lol.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Technically speaking, you have a single plane intake manifold now. Since air and fuel are not mixed in the intake manifold, I don't think it will matter if you have a single, dual, or even Triple Lindy - plane manifold.:wink:

Cucvnut

i jsut cut more holes in my air filter cover...i think it helped but it made it alot louder in the cab.... i hate my trucks exhaust it makes such a bad noise in the cab at 55 to 60 mph

4bogginchevys

the hole in the core support that you located is the factory civy location for air duct attachment. As you stated (RAM AIR)......it's not really. The air rolls in front of a truck and over the hood creating nothing more than a "dead" spot in front of the radiator. Slow speed operation will actually feed warm air to you engine. It is a great place to get air from, dont get me wrong and it looks good too. I've read a few performance books for cars/trucks and they all to say that the wiper box is the "coolest" place to get air from, unfortunately not possible for ram air either, but better for horse power than most other configurations. Thanks for the tip on where to get some of the connectors as I will be building a similiar setup pretty soon on my 1008. I also have to cut a hole a little above and beside the heater housing to tap into that cold air! I already did this mod to my 79 GMC and it works good for a snorkel spot too! The diesel's have a different air cleaner connection than the gas motors so i'll definately take your advice on the 6.5 intake stuff. Job well done!:-D

jimmy-90

Thanks for the feedback everyone. One thing I should mention about the 6.5L air cleaner assembly is that some of them might not clear the CDR plumbing on the cucv 6.2Ls. Originally when I went looking for parts at the junkyard I was only looking for an intake resonator to quiet down that loud droneing noise. I couldn't get any of the diesel resonators to work with the existing air cleaner on my 6.2L so I had to buy the whole 6.5L air cleaner,flexpipe,and resonator. Luckily I drove my truck down there and was able to see if the 6.5L assembly would fit my truck. As I stated before it sits a hare closer to the CDR pipes but it clears just barely. Wish I knew what year that truck was but I didn't think to ask while I was down there. I definately wouldn't buy one of those air cleaner assemblies off the internet because different years or different configurations might not clear. Also I wish this site would let you edit your title. Didn't realize the spelling error untill it was too late lol.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can edit your title. Click on"edit"in the first post you made. Then click on"go advanced". There, you can edit your title.

I did it for you, now that you mentioned it.

Let me mention once again, correct spelling and descriptive titles, will help everyone in the future, when searching. Please make an effort.:wink:

84cucv1ton

good idea, any more info on the RACOR spin-on fuel filter? my model 80 is now leaking. what is the benefit of a single plane manifold? whats it off of? thanks

Dodgeman1941

With our m1009, my brother had an old GMC top kick that he was parting out. It had approx the same dia lower part of the air cleaner, but it had a snorkel on it that was basicly a double hole where our cucvs have a single hole. I drilled out the spot welds on the snorkel. Drilled 2 holes that matched up where the snorkel covered and cut out inbetween the holes making a second hole the same as our original hole and pop rivited that snorkel on over both holes. The top kick also had a flex hose about 6" dia. I did the take the knock out if the rad support trick and make a sheet metal price that just fit inside of the flex hose and used the flex to go from the snorkel to the rad support. It makes a huge difference for under hood noise.

AJMBLAZER

If you look around you can find a stock GM air baffle for that hole in the core support. I got one from a friend and ran hose to it. I've had bad luck with the hose I'm running so I'm trying to track down a OEM GM air intake setup for the 6.2L diesel.

Oh, CUCV's already have the single plane J-code intakes.

Attachments

jimmy-90

Noticed that 84cucv1ton asked about that fuel filter so I'll go ahead and do a mini write up. The fuel filter base I have is a RACOR490 with a 10micron filter and 24volt fuel heater. I won it on Ebay for $152.00. Not sure how much these things cost from a supplier or store. I chose the 490 because I saw someone elese with one on a cucv and he said that the holes in the filter base match the holes in the firewall perfectly. He was right but you do have to find something to space it out about 1 1/2 inches off the firewall. Now for the pain in the neck part. When I was ordering a spare filter element from RACOR I was discussing how I was gonna hook it up. Which was the way that the factory one is hooked up. The tec guy at RACOR said not to do that. He said that if you make the lift pump push fuel through the filter then the watter seperator wont work right. He said to hook the filter to the suction side of the pump and make it pull fuel through the filter. So I cut the fuel line near the lift pump and hooked the fuel tank side to the fuel filter inlet and the lift pump side to the outlet with some rubber fuel line hose as you can see in the first pic. Then I hooked the two rubber hoses that went to the stock filter base together with some brass fittings so they just go to the injection pump which you can see in the second pic. Seems like alot of work for the lift pump but don't worry it will do it. The RACOR filter flows ALOT more fuel than a 6.2L could probly ever burn no matter how much you souped it up!!!

Attachments

Last edited:

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can edit your title. Click on"edit"in the first post you made. Then click on"go advanced". There, you can edit your title.
I don't know if that works for us peons. I tried everything including cussing to get the title of "Recovering Sarges SGPRSMD" to actually say that since I misspelled it SPGRSMD. No luck, it refused to change. I was told that once someone replies, the original poster can no longer edit the title. I got the title of that one post to change, but not the thread.

Cheers

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jimmy, Can you post a close up pic of the hose that is oval on one end and round on the other? Where is attaches to the air filter housing. I'm also trying to stop the drone noise in my 1028. I have the air fliter housing and it's made a difference. But id like to run the hose up to the core support and quiet it more. Thanks!

jimmy-90

Hey Ken... No prob I got some close ups here. The hose that is round on one end and oval on the other is the stock 6.5L hose that came with the 6.5L air cleaner housing and resonator. I got all those things at a junkyard off of another truck. What I did then was I extended the round end of the hose out to where I wanted to mount the resonator with a couple pieces of 4" duct piping elbows that I got from the hardware store. The duct pipeing didn't fit the round end of the hose perfectly so I drilled and put screws in to hold it together better. after that I wraped the hose to pipe section with ALOT of aluminum tape and then I sprayed the whole thing with rubberized under coating including the inside of the air cleaner housing. As for that specific resonator that I wound up with...4" ducting fit over the outside diameter of the inlet and I used a coupler for the outlet that I got from pep-boys.

Attachments

Last edited:

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jimmy, Thanks for the pics. I'm trying to locate that oval to round short hose. Without much luck. I might have to make something. That drone noise gets old after a few miles. Since you've had it on there for a while now,how to you like it? Noise level tolerable? Thanks again.

jimmy-90

I'd say overall this is a purdy good upgrade. It DOES cut down that drone noise alot. One of the main reasons I wanted to find a resonator setup was so I could hear my straight through mufflers even better lol. Once I found a junkyard resonator I wound up haveing to buy everything elese that went with it also. If it wasn't for the diesel rattle you wouldn't be able to tell it from a gas engine at this point. I do love the diesel rattle though. Thats why I didn't put the cab or under hood insulation on it. Anyhow Ive put a good bit of miles on that thing since I built and put it into the truck. The only time I took it out was for a couple of massive snowstorms we had this winter. I do run this setup in the rain but Im afraid that in a BIG snow storm the snow might blow into the air filter,melt,and stay wet in there. Then go to start the truck the next morning after sitting in the sub-zero temp's with the foam air cleaner ring wet and my air filter might be a solid block of ice. That is the only possible drawback to the ram-air mod that I've ran into so far.

Last edited:

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks jimmy. Snow isn't a problem in houston. Mabye once in 20 years are so. Getting it quiet enough to carry a conversation in the cab at 50MPH is the main goal. Thanks again for you help.

AJMBLAZER

Jimmy, do you have the air hat/baffle dohickey in your core support? That should prevent the water ingestion issue unless you're fording deep water.