• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

my cucv

1984CUCV

Just thought i would share some pics of my truck. Its a m1008a1 out of fort gordon ga with 14k original miles as far as I can tell. I repainted it and added a new dash from LMC and new weather stripping. Lift kit and tires are next on my list. After that I would love to due a 6bt conversion on it but the thing runs real good with the 6.2 so i might leave it alone. It came without a tailgate so I found one in a junk yard then i painted the truck. Then I realized i bought a GMC tailgate not a Chevrolet after i painted the truck - d'oh.

Attachments

aboonski

Nice truck!

I have an M1008A1 also. You can paint your dash cover with some spray cans of vinyl paint available at most hardware stores - burgundy is the color I used on mine and it came out looking like new. I would not worry about the tailgate unless you are planning to enter a competition of some sort - hardly noticeable from a distance anyway. I use my CUCV every day and it always gets me where I am going. I would keep everything like it was to include the 24 volt system - not as complicated as some people make it out to be. Generally, people modify their CUCV's with a manual glow plug switch and a kill switch for the starter - sometimes the small solenoid in the dash behind the radio cutout welds itself together and the starter will continue to crank. I had to pull both positive cables off of my two batteries before the starter would quit; fortuntely, no problems with the starter after I fixed the problem. Does your battery guage still work?

1984CUCV

funny you should mention the battery guage. As I was changing out the dash I had to remove the gauge and i somehow managed to get the guage grounded. Needless to say it sparked a bit then the volt meter never worked again. I am assuming that I burned out the resistor? Thoughts?

aboonski

If the resistor is bad you can go to any good electronics store and pick up a 300 ohm ceramic resistor that will be capable of handling a significant amount of amperage and install it right over the flat white one. You can check your gauge with a 12 volt source by applying voltage across the two threaded stems that are close together (by-passing the resistor). If the gauge works on 12 volts, the resistor is bad. There are several posts on the subject of bad CUCV battery gauges that show photos of the fix, etc.

1984CUCV

Thanks for all your compliments. The truck came from Fort Gordon in Ga. I knew that Fort Gordan usually has nice stuff as it is a communications base and their equipment does not see 'hard' duty. Unlike a lot of your marine bases (sorry marines) that beat the crap out of equipment. I got there well in advance to pick it up and loaded it on my trailer with a winch as i did not want them moving it with a fork lift as they usually damage things when they do. I am really anal with my stuff as I removed the seat and cleaned and scrubbed the interior before applying new CARC paint to the floor boards. I must admit that i did get lucky with this one as there was no rust other than surface rust on the rear diff. housing. Other than that it was a real nice rig to start with. I am just making it better. I always wanted one and they are hard to come by where I am originally from (maine) so when the opportunity came to buy this one it was a no brainer. Does anyone know the largest tire in the 36-37 inch range I can put on these factory rims. Thanks again for all your compliments!!

JB

Good looking truck. :) In addition to what others have offered you can go to a dupont paint dealer and get the proper maroon color dye for the 84-86 year truck dash pads. They can look it up in their catalogs for you. Also I would not worry about the tailgate I am sure although never seen one that the factory threw a GMC gate on a govt truck at some point since they came out of the same factory anyway. Where in FLA are you?

AJMBLAZER

You should be able to easily fit a 37x12.5R16 or similar tire with minor trimming. Mine had 36x12.5-16.5 HMMWV tires on it when I got it using older GM 16.5" wheels. My plan for replacing those was originally some 36x12.5R16 TSL Radial Swampers as they had a reputation for actually being closer to 11-11.5" wide. Ran into a deal on these 11.00R16 Michelins and haven't looked back since.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks