• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

my current government vehicle build

indy4x4fab

Banned
I'll check to see if I also have a pair of rear soft skin doors. Take the rear half of the rear door and mate it to the front half of a front door and you should have a hole pre-bent tube door in need or a little fabric work.

Copy and past the rear door up to the side of the jeep as well please to see if my thoughts hold water.

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just a suggestion - check the dimensions of a M151 soft skin door and compare it to the door opening you have on your Jeep. The MUTT door might work for you, but you'd have to modify the driver's side to eliminate the opening for the fuel tank neck.

army_nurse

yep doors were one of the big problems i had. now i think i may have that solved. i have decided to keep it left hand drive so that makes the list shorter to finishing the project. i will be trying to find a 1/4 ton trailer when i get done but that is a while down the road. trying to decide if i want to keep the current rear lights or change them over to M series tail lights. was going to start doing some of the rust repair but my sears wire feed welder died. time to upgrade maybe. like any other project lots of stuff to do and decisions to make. thanks for the help and God bless

indy4x4fab

Banned
Just a suggestion - check the dimensions of a M151 soft skin door and compare it to the door opening you have on your Jeep. The MUTT door might work for you, but you'd have to modify the driver's side to eliminate the opening for the fuel tank neck.
Good thought, but m151 parts are becoming kinda pricey, but a direct bolt on door is sometimes worth it tho.

Last edited:

army_nurse

the m151 mutt doors are too short. the m151 has a lip at the floor board that the dj5 does not. i could put in a panel at the bottom to match but it would make it difficult to get into the jeep. its taller to the floor now . i had looked at that but the hmmwv doors are a closer fit due to the lack of the side panel on the floor board

indy4x4fab

Banned
hummv tail lights would be a nice touch to give it that mil look but still keep the low profile look.

Have you thought about maybe doing a us army mail truck look, all tan or green and putting "US Army Mail" on the sides above the rear tires? Would be a kinda cool and very one off look, too.

army_nurse

that is my goal. going to call it desert mail call. going to use the numbers on the back at the top of the roof and on the sides of the the hood. going to be rapco tan. going to keep a full rear bumper but put shackles on the frame. the rear door will get a spare tire mount and i will find a place to put a fuel can as well. i am going to change out the current gauge cluster for m series cluster. i have that and am getting the gauges one by one. it only has a 11 gallon fuel tank. they make a 21 gallon poly tank that will fit its a bit pricy but 11 gallons "dont go far". i think it will be pretty cool when its all said and done. i hope to put a 4bt and a 400 turbo trans out of a frito truck in it as well. being a inline 6 with a 727 trans there is only about 100 pounds difference in the engine tranny combo so i am sure that it will work. the biggest part is the engine mounts but they have kits for that now too. The goal is to look different but not odd and be as mechanical as i can keep it. God bless

indy4x4fab

Banned
You going to do bolt on shackle mounts light the ones in picture one, or weld on ones? I have a few pairs of hummv front and rear shackle mounts left if your interested. Those are the hummv mounts with shackles in the picture, bolted to the bumpers on the xm889.

Attachments

M923driver

Cool project! Have you thought about a pair of CJ7 doors? They are basiclly welded rods covered in vinyl. You could reshape them to fit and have canvas covers made for them. They also just lift off if you don't want or need them on. Not too spendy at swap meets or ebay. If memory serves, the latches are also just plastic paddles and don't require any hardware on the body. Good luck with it, post some pics when you're done.:beer:

comdiver

Over the years I had a couple of DJ's. They were a lot of fun. A great beater car. I hauled everything in the little back. The sliding doors were OK, because you could drive around with them open. Our post office got rid of them a long time ago.

army_nurse

time to update the post a bit. I have a new carb installed on the jeep 258 2 bbl manifold, as well as a HEI distributor. you can see in the corner of one pic i have taken out the old heater and am preping to put in a NOS military jeep heater. have not had time to fix the doors but will before spring. next is the steering box. i have a Mercedes OM617 that has been offered to me and i plan to put in the jeep this spring. I am going to put a 700r4 trans behind it. If all goes well i will have it to the auto body guy this spring.

keep any thoughts or suggestions comming. photo (6).jpgphoto (5).jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks