• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My day at the Veterans Museum in Oshkosh

cx65083

A few months ago, I drove to GA. to get some 16x21's (off a MK48 ) I was planning swapping them out for my lil duallys soon so I listed them on FB as I dont have a paid membership here yet. The veterans museum in Oshkosh offered to trade 6 16x20's for my 12 11x20's on rims and 3 brand new spares. The PLAN was to drive out, remove my 11x20's and put on my 16x21's. After a problem with flat tires and not having a proper filler (the air valve on the MK48 tires are easily twice the size of normal!) I reloaded my tires and bolted up the 16x20's off the museums 1955 M54A2C. (They are restoring back to spec.
My day started at 10:25am when I pulled out of the driveway and made the 2hour drive uneventfully. After a brief look around and set up, we got to work. WOW. What I didn't know about duallys and super singles was surprising. A Learning experience. six and a half hours later...ugh.... mine were off and mounted on the museums truck and the supers were mounted on mine. a bit of clean up and pics and rolled out of there for home. Thanks to Dave and Larry at the museum for the help!
A 2.5 hour drive home (half hour for lunch/dinner and a stop for IB profen!) I can finally USE first gear in traffic. In fact, 1-3 rd runs real nice in town traffic. I now fully KNOW and UNDERSTAND the complaints of the 3-4 hump...ugh. I never understood it before with my skinny lil duallys. I also have to watch my speed now. Before I just mashed down on the throttle until in 5th and pulled the throttle lock. She'd run at 53-55 so I had lots of sightseeing time while on long drives. Now she'll do 65...when she finally gets up there! So it takes a bit more care. And my throttle lock doesnt seem to have the "right spot" to hold at 55. one notch is about 50-52 and the next is 61.
I took a "shortcut" on the way home and hit a deep sandy water hole that has almost swamped me several times with the duallys. I always had to hit it at speed to make it through. Now I can come to a complete stop in the middle and walk her right out. Love it!

HELP... I've lifted my truck, now I can't get up in it! LOL

Attachments