• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My Deuce, From Purchase to Present

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice how that transmission is sitting out there looking at the truck.

Wonder if I'll ever have the time and money to get my truck in that fashion, no time soon for sure.

No.2Diesel

Hey,

The paint job looks great! It has come a long way since those purchase-day pics. I have enjoyed reading your various posts over the years. Seeing these pics again of the Deuce on jackstands gives me inspiration for my current conversion to an M756A2. That's great that you're still able to enjoy your Deuce.

Have you been able to work on or operate the V18/MTQ?

DHennon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great Job. I am in the beginning stages. Just finished prepping the cab, and am putting Herculiner on the bed and replacing the wood.

Something to really be proud of!:)

JDToumanian

It's been over 4 years since I first painted my deuce, and it was getting to be time for a freshening up!

The wooden troop seats drove me nuts, I have had a terrible time keeping paint on them.... Even sanding down to clean bare wood and using Kilz Bare Wood Primer, the primer still peels off after a little over a year in the desert sun. I don't know what kind of wood that is, but I don't like it. So, I bought a nice set of fiberglass seats. I'm no longer the 'authenticity nazi' I once was....

Then my canvas cab cover rotted out, it had been almost 4 years since I put it on. I like the canvas tops a lot, but the truck really needs to be garaged for them to survive.... So, I found a good deal on a NOS hard top in the crate.

I also found a good deal on a complete winch set from a deuce being parted out at Dave Walker's place.... He cut off the entire front end of the truck and set it in the bed of my deuce, and then I pulled the PTO, shaft and cab brackets and controls.

And lastly, since I now have an ex-army girlfriend who likes my deuce and goes on trips with me, and my buddy Jim (TheRecorder) who we convoy with, I decided to add a radio and VIC-1 intercom. I got the idea for the location of the VIC-1 (easily accessible yet out of the way) from someone here on Steel Soldiers but they used wood... I made the mounting plate from a piece of 1/4" thick aluminum, 6" x 60". There are no holes drilled in the hard top to mount it... It hangs on the lip of the hard top, and there are two wing bolts that screw in and stick out the back, under the lip of the hard top so that once hanging and the wing bolts are screwed in, it can't lift up. This makes it easily removable... Undo the CX-4723 cable that goes from the AM-1780 to the radio tray under the pass. seat, loosen the wing bolts and lift the whole assembly out for storage.

So Anyway, a total repaint was needed just to make all the new parts match the truck. Here's pics of the progress and completed project.....

Jon

Attachments

Last edited:

JDToumanian

Last weekend Jim and I drove our deuces to the Orange Empire Railway Museum in Perris, CA which was hosting the American Truck Historical Society's 26th Annual Antique Truck Show.... I won "Best Heavy Military Truck"!

There were about 7 deuces there, I wish I had a picture of them all lined up, but I did take a pic later in the day when there were only 3 left.... Pic of that and the trophy attached.

Jon :cool: :jumpin:

Attachments

Katahdin

Looks great! I like the new "accessories" [thumbzup] Hopefully your new girlfriend doesn't mind that you stack tires in your living room, I hate it when they try to change you. :roll:

JDToumanian

Hopefully your new girlfriend doesn't mind that you stack tires in your living room, I hate it when they try to change you.
Ha! Yeah.... She's pretty cool, she accepts my eccentricities. Rolls her eyes once in a while but knows that she can't change me, and therefore doesn't bother trying. We've been dating almost a year already, she's a vast improvement over all others, who either barely tolerated or openly disliked my trucks.

Here's a pic.... Unfortunately you have to look at me too.

Attachments

Last edited:

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry we missed the OERM/ATHS show. My son and I love the OERM. We had a Cub Scout Camp Out to go to. Congrats on the the win. Cool trophy.

The truck is looking good. Where'd you find your fiberglass troop seats? Did you get them brand new or are they a good used set.

JDToumanian

I can't wait to see it at the Chino Air show.
We won't be there this year.... They said they have a large number of WWII vehicles attending this year so they didn't need any Vietnam-era "filler". Oh well! It sure was fun last year. Even better, you'll have to come with us to Miramar if you're still in CA.

Where'd you find your fiberglass troop seats? Did you get them brand new or are they a good used set.
They were a used set from Dave Walker that had some damage, but Dave has a lot of NOS troop seat parts so I replaced anything that wasn't perfect. He doesn't have another complete set that I am aware of, but he has a lot of pieces, metal bow parts, as well as complete new folding seat assemblies. 760-244-8060

Jon

We won't be there this year.... They said they have a large number of WWII vehicles attending this year so they didn't need any Vietnam-era "filler". Oh well! It sure was fun last year. Even better, you'll have to come with us to Miramar if you're still in CA.

I'll still be in cali by the Miramar show, money issues have me stalled. Are you guys still gonna be at the show on sat, but without yer deuces?? I'll be there all day Saturday and I would love to hang out with ya.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Jon, your truck looks awesome!!!!!!

I see you have a lockout on the middle axle. :D But what is the thing covering the axle flange on the right rear?

Great install on the radio gear.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jon in looking at your pics I just relived all the time, work and labor I went through a year and a half ago restoring my 71 M-35A2 every little victory feels like heaven and every completed aspect is another step closer to the GOAL! You restored yous just about exactly like I did my truck, tons of time, patience and persistence, Thanks for posting the truck is beautiful and I am sure your satisfaction level with the completed project is beyond words! Thanks again for posting and you did a terrific job in preserving another piece of American History!
KK

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks