• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My Deuce won't go into gear???

electraman

My Duce won't go into gear??? It was fine two days ago and nowi it wont go into gear. If I shift the transfer case into neutral, it will shift into gear with no problem. also it will go into gear if the transfer case is in low...any idea's? by the way, I did put a new tranny in about 500 miles ago...

electraman

Yes, If I shift the transfer case in to neutral, then I can shift into gear and then I shift the transfer case into high, a slight grind noise, The truck drive fine in what ever gear I put it in. I dont know if if will shift into different gears while driving since I don't want to left on the road...

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
So if your in "high range" sitting in the driveway, you cannot shift into any gear? Does it change anything if you press the clutch in/out while trying to shift?

electraman

Well, sound like an ajustment then...sitting the driveway with the clutch in, I cannot shift to any gear while I have the clutch to the floor. It on will go into if the transfer case is in neutral. The clutch does feel strong...I dont think I have alot of travel in the pedal..

And thanks again to everyone for all the help!

Well you should check the freeplay when you get a chance, if it's off by as much as an inch it can create these kinds of problems. It's not uncommon to get the freeplay fouled up after a trans swap, happend to me.

micmccon

Generally if you can shift it with the engine off but not with it on, you either have a siezing pilot bearing or a clutch/ pressure plate issue. Stretched bolts on the pressure plate will generally cause a slipping clutch and could cause incomplete release of the disc with the pedal pushed in. I would (as previously suggested) check the adjustment first.

mendo069

i agree..... seizing pilot bearing... make sure you remove that plate and pump 2-3 pumps of grease, no more than that.... also, check fluid levels in tranny/ transfer case (80-90) then lastly, clutch adjustment.....

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
if the clutch is dragging, it will grind in 1st and rev. shut it off, put it in gear and start it. it is almost certainly pilot brng dry of clutch adj.

tom

electraman

Thanks everyone! Hopefully the bearing doesn't need grease. I just serviced about 2 months ago. If these storms will let up here in NC, maybe I can get under the truck tonight... By the way, when you speak of pilot bearing, are you referring to the bearing that rides back and forth on the shaft that is controlled when depressing the clutch?

zout

EM
The transmission has a splined input shaft protruding out the front if you pull the transmission - sure you have seen this.

On the engine side the flywheel is bolted on and in the center of the flywheel there is a replaceable input bearing. It inserts into the flywheel center.

The clutch pac gets bolted to the flywheel.

The throwout bearing is free to ride on the input shaft and is greaseable - what keeps this centered are little ears - usually off the "cross shaft".

If the input bearing is seizing - it keeps the input shaft from engaged - thus grabbing the input shaft and keeping it spinning.

The clutch when depressed allowed the input shaft to stop spinning to get into gear - if the clutch is not adjusted properly to spec's it will not allow it to go into gear.

Always adjust the clutch first at the throw out bearing - freeplay is adjusted last if necessary. This is clutch's that have what is called clutch brakes on the input shaft.
Those without the freeplay is adjusted moving the throwout bearing distance to the clutch forks for proper adjustments.

Directions should be in the TM's.
Picture is for reference only - the arrow for the input bearing should be pointing to the flywheel center - for some reason it is not in this reference pic.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks