• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

my diesel smells different

jag7720

Has anyone noticed what I have?

Lately, the diesel exhaust coming from my truck smell like a kerosene lamp/heater. In fact, I can't smell any diesel exhaust.

Am I just crazy or has something changed in the diesel fuel?

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe with the new laws making them process it more? They are supposed to be refining most of the sulphur out of it.....

3dubs

You need to add diesel treatment. They have changed the diesel fuel and it does not lubricate as good. So your fuel pump and injection pump will not get the lubrication they need. Your local shop should know about and you can find information online if you want the tech stuff. The diesel additives are not cheap. I am currently trying to find out if there is something cheaper that will do the same job. But even when I just smell the diesel it does not smell right. I thought I had bad diesel. But if you do not add something you will be replacing the fuel pump quick.

jag7720

Well I am looking at a pump replacement now. The flex ring has gone and I am getting surging

If I amg going get this rebuilt should I get the cSt 1.2 which is for dry fuels?

mattgw86

You need to add diesel treatment. They have changed the diesel fuel and it does not lubricate as good. So your fuel pump and injection pump will not get the lubrication they need. Your local shop should know about and you can find information online if you want the tech stuff. The diesel additives are not cheap. I am currently trying to find out if there is something cheaper that will do the same job. But even when I just smell the diesel it does not smell right. I thought I had bad diesel. But if you do not add something you will be replacing the fuel pump quick.

I sometimes use ashless 2 stroke oil with my fuel. Really helps to lubricate and quiet the injectoors on my Powerstroke. Should help for the IP on the mechanical diesels too. I use 1oz of oil per gallon of fuel.

I have noticed sometimes my diesel fuel smells normal and sometimes it has a harsher "chemical" smell to it.

garp

ULSD ultra low sulphur diesel. the old days are gone. Use some Stanadyne World Lubricity Formula, it is the best additive avaiable.

jag7720

I am usually running wvo but I'd like to be safe when running the ULSD and have a long life pump. So I guess when I get this pump rebuilt I'll ask for the cSt 1.2

As far as using engine oil in your fuel, Mercedes used to recommend a quart every now and then to help lubricate the pump. If you do use engine oil I'd get the straight weight non-detergent.

txdodge43man

if you are not afraid of the law you could run off road diesel and be just fine

Ive been told by a few people in the truck industries that off road diesel is the same stuff and on road they just die it red. I know that off road diesel at one time a lot better but I'm told they changed it.

333pppp

man, i am lucky enough to have a few stations around here that sell just low sulfer diesel, 90 percent of all the other stations sell ulsd.

NorthPatrol

Off road diesel is nothing more than road diesel with dye added. It would not make sense, money wise, to produce 2 different types of fuel. They may be telling you it is LSD when in fact it is ULSD.

Ask you station/supplier that claims it is LSD who their distributor is and contact them directly and ask.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Unless they are putting something different in the tanks around here, at some of the truck stops along I-70, I can still get #2 diesel...it's a few cents cheaper than ULSD and runs just fine.

NorthPatrol

Unless they are putting something different in the tanks around here, at some of the truck stops along I-70, I can still get #2 diesel...it's a few cents cheaper than ULSD and runs just fine.
It is still ULSD. The difference between #2 and #1 (or winter blend) is the amount of parafin in it not the sulfur content. This affects the gell point of the fuel and not it's lubricity.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks