• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My Dodges are home

jbingvtx

It took a couple trips to Columbia SC but I got both of my new MVs home. I was happy to see the condition of the M880, no rust and a few dents and dings. When I opened the hood I was instantly a little worried, someone had taken the air breather and the radiator cap off. Those wonderful southern mud dauber wasps were building a condo on the side of the carb. The M886 is looking much rougher, most of the rust seems to be only surface and not into the structure yet. The back of the box had what appears to be a set of shelves from a newer ambulance kind of stuck in on one side and a bench on the other side. The passenger door is stuck, the outside handle doesn't work and the inside is missing everything along with the window being down. I found that several birds have made this their home, nests in the dashboard and in the shelves in the back.

Attachments

jbingvtx

I'm planning at this time to fix up and drive. I hate to say "restore" because that's really more than I plan to do. I'm leaning towards mechanically sound military vehicles. I'm not going to worry about straightening every ding and dent, just hit the bad spots and repaint to military colors. I have begun to work on the M880 and have had it running and drove it a little. There seems to be a terrible bind in the front end. Some of the problem is in the wheels, they are much wider than the original and where they rusted on the inside they rub the tie-rod end and make alot of noise. The M886 is going to be a bigger project but I'm on the prowl for parts already. :-D

jbingvtx

I finally got back to the M880 today. I replaced the fuel filter and some dried out fuel line, cleaned on the carb and added some seafoam and fresh gas. I had it running again and It's getting smoother each time. I think that the float is sticking on it though. It'll purr for a little while and then just run out of gas. I've got plenty of fuel pressure on the line but it won't stay running. I was hoping that I could get some additives running through the carb to clean it up but now I'm thinking it'll have to come off and get soaked and rebuilt.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks