• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My Drag Sheet Project

barefootin

Well, I hate to admit it, but I have been a satisfied "Load Handler" user for over 10 years....:cry: [HR][/HR]With my Chevy K2500 semi-retired until rust work is completed to pass state inspection, the Deuce has been doing pick-up duty for almost a year. It's done very well at the task except when it comes to unloading mulch/stone. I tried my old LH 3000 on it and beside the fact the drag sheet was too narrow, it worked. So..., I super-sized the concept. I ordered (2) 50" x 15' Kevlar drag sheets, (2) 1.5" ID pedestal bearings, and (1) 1.5" heavy wall pipe. Some engineering and......... it actually worked. Pictured is one of two loads of brush from a fallen tree I hauled off to our local incinerator this past weekend. The load pictured although not very impressive around 600lbs, was unloaded in about 40 seconds. Seeing as though it took 2 of us almost two hours to load it, my brother and I were relieved to see that it worked! :naner: A couple scoops of mulch is the next test. It is surly not a dump bed (maybe someday I will have one), but it already was worth the time I put into it...

Attachments

barefootin

How about a few closer pics of the mounting setup and where did you get the sheet at. This is a great idea.
The drag sheets I bought off the original load handler web site under spare parts. I found other Kevlar tarps, but I figured I knew these worked and my original held up to years of abuse. I just used 1/8" rivets and washers on both sides to join the two sheets. I did the full overlap at the start and finish and 4 rivets across roughly every 18" in between (The duct tape on the drag sheet was just to hold it together while I worked on it). The brackets are off of my other load handler (I stepped up to 5/8" hardware), but L brackets with a strap would do just fine. For the handle, I used a piece of 1/2" thick bar stock and bolted a piece of 1/2" I.D. by 6" PVC so it would spin. View attachment 434692

Attachments

Last edited: