• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My DUKW and LST 1166

Steve Greenberg

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello,
Several years ago there was a operational Korean War vintage LST in the Portland area. LST 1166. The guy who owned it and got in running had passed away in 1993. The LST is still here but over the past several years it was severely vandalized and in terrible condition now.

Back in the 90's when the LST was up and running I participated in several events with WWII DUKW & LVT Veterans and Vietnam LST Veterans. The most memorable was the WWII 2nd Marine Amphibian Truck Co. reuion in 1993. A friend & I took all of the Veterans and many family members on board the LST while at anchor in the Columbia River with 2 DUKW's. Then we cruised up river in the LST and beached it on an island! Because of the age of these guys and how small the 2nd DUKW Co. was, this was one of the last reunions they held. Most og the guys were in thier mid to late 70's or early 80's at the time. Unfortunatly many of these guys have passed away. The Veterans and thier families really enjoyed it. It was a real honor taking these WWII 2nd Marine DUKW Veterans on what was probably thier last DUKW ride. I still keep in touch with a couple of the Veterans.
Steve:driver:

Attachments

Last edited:

Fort rogers

Those are great pictures! Good for you for keeping up your DUKW and giving those rides. Im sure that was a very memorable event for everyone! That LST looks great to, to bad about the current condition. I wish we could do a better job preserving our military history! Thanks again for the pics and your service to our vets!!!:)

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Thanks for posting Steve.

On a completely different topic, after last year's National Meet, somebody (Dave Welch maybe?) had posted some great videos and pictures of the three DUKW's boarding the ship. One of the videos was of a DUKW with the flooring removed so the crew could inspect it for water intrusion (assumption).

I know I saw the thread on the G in the amphib section and I think the videos were hosted on some club's website (I don't remember them being youtube vids) and now I can't find the thread or the videos/pictures anywhere.

Do you remember what I am talking about and do you know where this stuff went?

Thanks

C

gunboy1656

I have never seen an LST up close, and cant wait for LST325 go get into Pittsburgh in a couple weeks.

Very nice pics, thanks for showing them off.

LSTvet

Steve, great story and photos of the ship. I found this site while googling LST 1166, and had to join Steel Soldiers so I could view your photos! As web master of the 1166 site, I remember emailing you a couple of times several years ago about the river trip and DUKW's. I served aboard LST 1166 in Vietnam, and if I had known of her status in the 1990's I would have come up for Art's Columbia River trip. I'll look for the video's! - Bob

Steve Greenberg

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bob,
It is real shame and very sad what happened to LST 1166. After Art passed away we did a few more events with a couple Veteran groups. It just was not the same without Art.
Steve:cool:

LSTvet

Yes, it is a shame, and a shame Art is no longer around. I did not learn the ship was in Oregon until the late 90's, but did get to spend a week aboard her in 2002 when Bill Brown was living aboard her. Our veterans association held a reunion in Portland in 2003, so we all got to walk her decks one more time! It's too bad her future destiny now rests with Davy Jones. Some are saying she was the highest or most decorated ship coming out of the Vietnam War. I'm not sure of that, but do think she must be in contention, and would make a great Naval museum to represent that era of our history. D***ed dopers anyway!

Last edited:

Steve Greenberg

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lst 1166

Hello,
Several years ago drug users got on board the LST and stripped off anything brass, copper or aluminum to sell for drugs. They stripped out a lot wiring to scrap. They even stole the brass sea valves which caused the engine compartment to flood. They also did a lot of vandalism breaking things. I think a few of them did get caught by the cops but I do not think much happened to them. The ship is now a hugh enviroment hazard because of the asbestos and styofoam on board. There was talk about taking it out and sinking the ship in the ocean. The big problem with that is all the styrofoam that was pumped into the bilges and compartments so it would not sink while it was used in Vietnam to de-mine harbors.
Steve:cool:

LSTvet

Not sure, but I think she is still anchored in the same spot near Rainier, Oregon. Today I found some info from May '09 that comes from the Coast Guard. There is a little under 7. on this link from Lt Edwards, and a link to a power point slide presentation there. It looks like much of the ship has been cleaned up with exception of a lot of lead paint:
May 12, 2009

hope the links works, otherwise just google "Mr. Edwards lst 1166 presentation" and view as html.

Patron Pat

My brother-in-law served on the USS Stone County (LST-1141) during the early 1960s, so I have some affection for LSTs despite serving in NavAir.
His ship (affectionately nick-named "Stone Maru") ended up as a landlocked museum in Krabi in southwest Thailand. The Thais have done a magnificent job of restoring her and opening her to the public.
It seems a shame that we have decorated Viet Nam war-era LST here in Oregon's backwater that is falling into disrepair. It deserves to be put to rights and opened as floating museum on the Columbia in much the same manner that LST-325 operates on the Mississippi. Restoration could be an opportunity to create a federally or state-funded program to provide jobs for veterans.

Steve Greenberg

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lst 1166

Hello,
LST-1166 is still anchored in Rainer, Or. The Federal Gov. spent around 5 million dollars cleaning the ship up (bunkler oil, asbestos and other misc. haz. mat.) The current owner (same guy since Art Raz owned it) is talking about selling the ship and it may get cut down and made into a barge. It is very sad to see such a great piece of US military history be destroyed.
Steve

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks