• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

my filter setup

rjinga

My Filter bags came from Duda-diesel also. I beleive they were the 7x16? or close to that.... I am doing about 8 gallons/day (2 batches, 4 gal/batch) It probably takes about 30-min to filter.
Do you know how much of the bag(s) actually fill up with the WMO? I wonder if a smaller bag, say 3/4 full, would do the same job as a larger bag only 1/4 full? If you have a 16" bag, but the WMO is only filtering, and eventually clogging up, at the bottom 3 or 4", it seems like a waste. Plus, smaller bags means less space overall, and less opportunity for the wife to complain. ;-)

'48Chevy6

Do you know how much of the bag(s) actually fill up with the WMO? I wonder if a smaller bag, say 3/4 full, would do the same job as a larger bag only 1/4 full? If you have a 16" bag, but the WMO is only filtering, and eventually clogging up, at the bottom 3 or 4", it seems like a waste. Plus, smaller bags means less space overall, and less opportunity for the wife to complain. ;-)
We use the 32"? big bags. Pump it, or dump it, full. It starts seeping through the sides real quick like. I guess the bottom does eventually clog first because it has more oil go through it.

You could concievably make a small pocketsized unit that filtered one pint at a time, but filling and monitoring would be a pain.

Tim

jerseyjeep2003

I started experimenting with small filter bags, just enough to see how my truck would run on WMO. I took a 5 gallon bucket and cut a 4" hole in the lid and fit a small 4" x 8" 100 micron filter in it. Then doing a pint at a time filtered 4 gallons, then switched the lid set up to a 5 micron bag and another empty 5 gallon bucket and refiltered the 4 gallons. The whole process for 4 gallons at a time took about an hour. I filtered thru the 100 micron bag straight WMO, but for the 5 micron bag I diluted it with about a quart of gasoline. You guys have me thinking though. Maybe a 55 gallon drum with PVC pipe a gate valve into a 5 gallon bucket with stacked larger bags and holes in the bottom of the bucket, "stacked" on top of another 5 gallon bucket to collect the finished product. Ultimately I will get a centrifuge set up and be done with it.

BTW, 50/50 mix of WMO and diesel and the old girl seemed happy with no unpleasant side effects. Next I will go with the same WMO/gas mix, but 75/25 in the tank, then try 100% WMO. It does seem slightly quieter using the WMO. But I do plan on "dropping the exhaust from the stack to running it down and under the bed as I am putting a splattering of black sooty spots on my neighbor's lawn furniture (only on start up) I believe this is happening when it is raining and the rain water picks up the exhaust and deposits it on his side of the fence.

I'll keep ya posted on my progress.

jerseyjeep2003

I started experimenting with small filter bags, just enough to see how my truck would run on WMO. I took a 5 gallon bucket and cut a 4" hole in the lid and fit a small 4" x 8" 100 micron filter in it. Then doing a pint at a time filtered 4 gallons, then switched the lid set up to a 5 micron bag and another empty 5 gallon bucket and refiltered the 4 gallons. The whole process for 4 gallons at a time took about an hour. I filtered thru the 100 micron bag straight WMO, but for the 5 micron bag I diluted it with about a quart of gasoline. You guys have me thinking though. Maybe a 55 gallon drum with PVC pipe a gate valve into a 5 gallon bucket with stacked larger bags and holes in the bottom of the bucket, "stacked" on top of another 5 gallon bucket to collect the finished product. Ultimately I will get a centrifuge set up and be done with it.

BTW, 50/50 mix of WMO and diesel and the old girl seemed happy with no unpleasant side effects. Next I will go with the same WMO/gas mix, but 75/25 in the tank, then try 100% WMO. It does seem slightly quieter using the WMO. But I do plan on "dropping the exhaust from the stack to running it down and under the bed as I am putting a splattering of black sooty spots on my neighbor's lawn furniture (only on start up) I believe this is happening when it is raining and the rain water picks up the exhaust and deposits it on his side of the fence.

I'll keep ya posted on my progress.

randini

The bag set-up never seems to get above 1/2 full. I thought about using the smaller bag (i even got one), but the peace of mind to know that I will never overflow the bag is worth the space it take up. I also dilute WMO with Gasoline before filtering. It probably 1 gallon gas for 4 gallon oil. So far it worked well for me.

jerseyjeep2003

I just added another 15 gallons of WMO on top of the 10 gallons I put in yesterday, then topped the tank off with 10 gallons of diesel. At a close guestimate I am probably at 50/50 mixture right now and it seems to run better than on straight diesel. We'll see how she performs after a few days of running the mix.:grin:

randini

Here is pict in process. As you can see there is a small stream of oil from the top bucket. The filter bag gets about 1/2 full, at most. I figure this is a good estimate of how fast the bags are clogging, I would imaging the line of oil would go up the side of the bag as it fills up. When the line is close to the top, I will change the bags.
I have a lid on the bottom can, with a funnel to try and keep this as clean as possible. I figure I do about 4 1/2 gallons at a time. I bought the funnel from Harbor freight, it has a screen in the bottom. I am sure the screen makes no difference, but I like the idea of keeping everything as clean as possible.
Since I am concerned about on board filters. I just got the "spin-on" primary filter from Jatonka. I have not installed it yet. I think if I have any problem, Th first filter would be changed most frequently. So far, so good. Stay tuned!

Attachments

randini

Ok, here is the rest of the story. I filled the top bucket and left it to drain. When I came back, it looked like it overflowed the filter bag. I probably have filtered 70-80 gal of WMO. Time to get new bags!

SGT Estum

What about water? Is there any concern with there being some condensation or other water in the oil?

I'm thinking about a setup like this to filter WMO for belnding in the tank on my CUCV.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks