• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

my first 1009 ouch

gunboy1656

The outside dont look bad, well from those pics. I wonder whats hiding behind the newer paint.

Does not look like it will take a lot to bring back up to great condition. A Blazer is next on my list of toys.

panama

****, except for the missing dash (which is easy to find on Ebay...usually - PM me if you need one) your truck is in much nicer shape than mine! Upside for me was that I was lucky enough to stumble into a mechanically perfect truck! Picked it up in N.C. and drove it 750 miles to Miami with ZERO problems...and none to this day! I hope the MV gods look kindly upon you as well!

snakepliskin

and hear the story

it wasnt running when i picked it up and there was no key. this is my first military vehicle, my third old chevy truck(first old chevy w/ 4x4) and second diesel ive ever owned. this truck is something else the missing instruments was a real ordeal to get going again but my "custom" setup i built looks pretty neat i think. there was no oil filter on the engine and no oil inside it. had half a tank of 75%red diesel 25% water, one busted alternator, no batteries, and a transmission that was very low on atf

to get it running i did the 12volt conversion- which got to be a pain because of the missing under the dash electronics that i didnt know about until 3 hours of troubleshooting later about why the alternator wasnt charging.
put oil in it and a filter on it
used a little pump to pull some water out of the tank
it really started easily and runs pretty good after that

problems since fixing all that

u joints on rear drive shaft crapped out
glow plug electronics are intermittent at best
vacuum connection at IP no good
will be going up the highway and the trans just drops to first gear sometimes

but man do i love this truck!
its the coolest thing out there on four wheels

if you got any suggestions for me to make owning this thing more harmonious go ahead

i get some pics up of it the way it looks now all those pics before are what GL took

Crash_AF

Nice score, looks like the only damage was the little forklift rash on the pass fender. I'll bet that's why your rear u-joint failed too. All of the fluids were supposed to be drained when it was turned in since it was an inop vehicle.

The faulty vacuum connections at the IP are probably the culprit for your mystery shifting.

What exactly are the glow plugs doing/not doing?

Later,
Joe

snakepliskin

ill have the shifting taken care of soon. i have an nv4500 to go in there once i get the bellhousing bologna figured out and the set of pedals i ordered arrive

the glow plug deal is
sometimes nothing happens when turn the key on(glo light, solenoid closing, or plugs getting warm

sometimes glo light comes on but solenoid doesnt close so never gets warm and glo light just stays on

sometimes solenoid closes and glo light comes on everything seems to work properly but it takes a very long time for it to get up to temp and go off. i know the plugs should continue to be powered even after the light go off

sometimes its fine- turn key, lights on 5-6 secs, start truck, drive

i think im just gonna put a button in the cab to opertate the glow plug solenoid

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Take each glow plug wire off, CLEAN BOTH THE WIRE END AND THE GLOW PLUG END and then reconnect everything and try it again.

I was having similar problems. What I found was that the front of the valve cover leaked a little oil ONTO the glow plug connector. On both sides of the engine. Once cleaned up, I didn't even have to change the plugs. I'm a happy camper. I check it every once and a while and have not had to clean it again since.

snakepliskin

more pics

heres some pics of some of the work so farIMAG0015.jpg

IMAG0016.jpg

IMAG0017.jpg

theres the instrument panel i fixed all up

the wheels and tires i took from my toyota put on there which turned out to suck

and the extra cool liscense plate illuminator and total crap arangement trailer hitch

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks