• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My first 5 ton melt down

misupratwin

I bought my first 5 ton about a month ago, It is a m818 .It was about 75 miles from home, paid 2k. On the way home about 30 miles into the trip, smoke filled the cab , engine made a loud metal screeching sound and she died on the side of the road. aua

Well the next day i returned with the duece and a towbar and pulled it back to my shop.

Fast forward two weeks, Found an engine and went and pulled it , well i pulled the engine, trans, transfer case and a few other parts. On to the next truck, pulled a winch set-up from it. :-D

This past week i spent after work (when you work on cars for a living you dont always want to work on more) installing my trailer load of parts.
I drove it home today.:driver:And to top it off i found a operators manual for it and a cd with, it seems 30 tm's on it i had bought about 10 years ago ,that i had forgotten about. Tim

Attachments

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
10 of 10 with the fender hanging down looks like it's sad because it doesn't have a turbo. :mrgreen:

misupratwin

Everything went fine on my first test drive ,very nerve racking. I think its looking good ,Drove it to work today.:driver:I must admit, i miss the whistle of the duece turbo, But power steering is sooo nice !!!!
My truck has lots of little issuse, gas gauge inop,tank selector valve, cluster works when it wants to,manifold heater unhooked a dozen other things unhooked or missing. I get to look for more parts, I bought some 5 ton parts for my duece six months ago now i have truck for them.

F18Hornet, I'm not positive , but if i had to guess i'd say it blew a headgasket and hydrolocked while cruising down the highway,No holes anywhere in the block ,nothing in the oil, but the coolant smells really really acidic, Rust stains down the underside of the passenger side of the truck,coming from the coolant expansion tank ,One bouns is i have a bunch of spare parts now. Tim

Attachments

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
" but if i had to guess i'd say it blew a headgasket and hydrolocked while cruising down the highway,"

Never seen one fail like that. The gaskets on the NHC aren't like the deuce or a gasser. The liner is sealed from the coolant and oil passages. Cut the filter open and see what you find.

Dukeman

Cracks me up how he talks about, "oh I just pulled an engine out of an old one I found and then just stuck it in my truck". Like no big deal. Come on take some credit man, that is a huge job. You make it sound like you just grabbed it with your bare hands and threw it in. Great job, hope you find all the parts you need.

F18hornetM

Awesome you got it up and running again, but the mechanic in me wants to know whats wrong with the old one. I'm thinking like willwagner towards the head gaskets. Anything strange can happen of course.

misupratwin

I have been a master ase tech and state certified auto and heavy truck master tech for close to twenty years, Also have a family owned towing service for ten years, And owned bulldozers, backhoe,and skid steers that i have bought inoperable, and repaired. It's only nuts and bolts.:)

So to me it was very easy (having a twin line vulcan wrecker and a backhoe) Took longer than i had hoped. Biggest problem is everything is heavy when you work alone, Backhoes are not friendly to fenders. You just have to be creative. For instance the engine /trans was back 1/2in to far, porta power to the rescue.

I am the kind of guy that gets bored easily i need a project, something to do/fix/modify.I have some issuses. Lots of toys.

I would also like to know what happened to the engine, but at the same time it's nice to have all the parts in the same place and easier to store.

None of this was meant to sound rude,negitive,or unappreciated. Wished some SS'ers were closer, I have mill, lathe,exhaust bender, sockets up to 4 in ,my drive-on hoist will pick up a duece. It would be fun to hang out learn and fix some trucks.

I did learn today why my horn was unhooked, randomly when you turn the wire in the column shorts to ground and scares the heck out of some little kid in a walgreens drug store parking lot.:-o Tim

Attachments

F18hornetM

I like the drive on lift. I have a 10,000 lb Bendpac like the other lift in your shop. Wont do much with the duece though! But sure beats working on the floor on everything else.
Nice shop too. Thanks for pics.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wished some SS'ers were closer, I have mill, lathe,exhaust bender, sockets up to 4 in ,my drive-on hoist will pick up a duece. It would be fun to hang out learn and fix some trucks.
Too bad your so far away. I have a half dozen or so projects that woould fit nicely in your shop...

Great news on getting running again...:beer:

misupratwin

progress

I took a few pictures of the old powertrain to show the rust . I would think that the rust streaks coming out of the overflow tank, it had been overheating.

I'm still happy with my truck despite it's flaws.

I pulled the column to find the short to ground , the wire jacket had been damage at the connector,taped it up,reassembled , works great :) ,and does not honk at everyone at a inconvenient time or place.:oops:

I have a note book page of parts i need , and half a page of things to fix.

Just had to take a picture of them side by side . Tim

Attachments