• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My first 5-ton purchase from GL

Stan

RE: Re: My first 5-ton purchase from GL

Nice catch, We're starting to get a decent handful of Missourians on here. Just where are you and your truck. If you need a hand let me know if close no problem. Good luck

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RE: Re: My first 5-ton purchase from GL

The 809 series trucks are great. One issue that seems to come up with some frequency is a gummed up sprag control mechanism. If you are driving it home, make sure that when you are going from 1 to R you hear a thunk. That is the sprag control valve/piston working. When I picked my 818 up, the sprag was stuck in reverse and I had to pull my front drive shaft to get it home. If you are going forward or reverse and the drive-line winds up and goes pop or thunk every so often, the sprag is stuck. Before removing the drive-shaft, jack one front tire off the ground top relieve any wind-up. If you don't, the drive-shaft might break your arm or worse.

Good luck and keep us posted!