• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My first 5-ton!

hole

Good score Mark!! I was going to bid on that Woodland Camo 109, but the " Finance Dept " got wind of it and hid the credit card:evil:. Probably for the best since I've only worked 4-5 days in the last month:roll:

100dollarman

Thanks, guys-

Now I have it home and I am thinking about what to do with it. Seems to run and drive good.

I dont know if it is in 10 wheel drive all the time, or when I put it in low range, or??? Can anyone tell me how the front drive gets engaged?

I have many thoughts on what to do with it. But I like the idea of 6 big tires (I have 395s, 14.00s, and 16.00s in stock) I probably will try to use the stock wheels to save $$$. But maybe I'll look into some of those 10lug wheels alot of guys got from OK lately. Has anyone used the stock wheels in the rear and dish them out without flipping the hubs? Any suggestions? Also looks like I may have some clearance problems with the pitman arm in the dr front wheel well if I use a tall tire.

I am thinking about taking the 5th wheel off and cutting (shortening) a Deuce bed to fit it. I think I would leave the spare tire and tool box where they are, and maybe leave a walkspace between the spare and the new ned, too.

Whaddya think???

Attachments

KsM715

I dont know if it is in 10 wheel drive all the time, or when I put it in low range, or??? Can anyone tell me how the front drive gets engaged?

I'd like to find out too. I just picked mine up and want to know how it works. I thought I read somewhere that it will only engage if you start out in first gear, either high or low range. Most of my trip home I started out in second. Ive also hear that if it is engaged and your at a stop you dont want to let it roll backwards. Is there a distance you dont want to let it roll like not at all or not more than a foot or so?

100dollarman If I wasnt going to bigger tires on the HEMTT wheels I offer to buy the tires off your truck to replace the NDT's on mine

100dollarman

I'd like to find out too. I just picked mine up and want to know how it works. I thought I read somewhere that it will only engage if you start out in first gear, either high or low range. Most of my trip home I started out in second. Ive also hear that if it is engaged and your at a stop you dont want to let it roll backwards. Is there a distance you dont want to let it roll like not at all or not more than a foot or so?

100dollarman If I wasnt going to bigger tires on the HEMTT wheels I offer to buy the tires off your truck to replace the NDT's on mine

How are you going to use the HEMTT wheels? Dish in, out, ? What tires are you going to run?

area52

The transfer case is the sprague type, over running clutch so the the front only engages when the rear tires slip by so much (7%?) The transmission has valve on it to tell the t-case when you are in forward or reverse gears.

thanks again for storing my wrecker !

KsM715

I want to see if I can find some 16's relatively close (cant aford to ship them) I havent decided on what brand/tread I want yet. As for the dish in or out I dont know, I guess I was assuming you had to run them dish in (rim bolts sticking out)on the front and dish out on the rear. If thats not how its done someone please clue me in on running super singles. I was hoping that since theres a lot of these rims coming out right now someone would get them mounted up and post some pics before i get around to it. I keep going back to the "pics? of singled 5tons" thread and :drool: over some of those trucks.

Last edited:

reddogkaiser

reddogkaiser

Hi guys, just joined the group tonight after finally getting a local yokel to part with my new 1964 M54A2 With M105 trailer, I hate to admit it but I picked it up for a used 454 chevy delivered and installed in a 1978 dually! The rancher said it hadn't run in 9 years, luckily all it took was 2 batteries, some clean #2, and 2 gallons of coolant and it fired right up! the injector return lines are busted so I had to smell diesel for 70 miles! but what a blast! once I fix the return lines and get all the brakes working I will put it to work hauling rocks and gravel and rescuing stupid kids in the local mud hole!! Thanks for this forum, it will be sssooooo helpful!!

Green_gator

Mark,
Good looking 5 ton. I am heading out to Barstow soon, read when EUC clears, with my brother to pick up his new deuce. I will have to swing by and see what I can take home with me. The airlines do not give you a lot of baggage now and Barstow to Tampa is a bit long for a deuce, not to mention that the wife will not believe that "it followed me home".

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks