• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My first and new to me deuce that I'm looking to restore to former glory

voltedge

I am going to ask for advice and help in my first and new to me 1989 M35a2c deuce. I know it's an original 89 because I have a folder full of documentation that states so. Everything from the build sheet from AM General showing the options and the build date and approval to ship date. The color listed was X14 Forest Green and it had another line stating Black markings. Upon research, I have read some posts with folks denying that there were really any true 1989 deuces ever produced. Unless I'm reading my sealed clear packet that also includes the lube order for the truck, it confirms this info. Now to my main question to start with, I am attaching two photos of the truck that I purchased from one of our fellow members on SS. The first is when it was recovered from Robins AFB where it had lived for the previous 10+ years after it's transfer there. The second pic is of the Behr OD repaint. Would this truck in everyone's opinion have only been originally a single color truck? Now if so, how does the repaint compare to the X14 original? The funny thing is that the first pic shows tan on the spare, but I can't find any tan even under the new paint. In fact, I just had to pull the fuel tank to have it cleaned and repaired and the factory paint was still behind the straps under the insulating strips and it was green and very close to the new Behr I think. You'll also notice that the hard top has a newer CARC appearing camo paint that does not match the rest of the truck. The build sheet shows a soft top from the factory, but maybe the USAF changed them to hardtops on base? It does have the heater and no NATO 24v plug just as the 87-89 trucks had. I'm also trying to figure out if there were any markings on the bumpers or doors ike a few of the USAF deuce pics I've found. If so, did the base trucks just use the truck numbers such as 89k 400 with the US Airforce and Official Use Only insgnia? Thanks for all of your time and help in this research! AB
11025653_1011633615531629_1088480462179870560_n.jpg
$_573.jpg

rustystud

I am going to ask for advice and help in my first and new to me 1989 M35a2c deuce. I know it's an original 89 because I have a folder full of documentation that states so. Everything from the build sheet from AM General showing the options and the build date and approval to ship date. The color listed was X14 Forest Green and it had another line stating Black markings. Upon research, I have read some posts with folks denying that there were really any true 1989 deuces ever produced. Unless I'm reading my sealed clear packet that also includes the lube order for the truck, it confirms this info. Now to my main question to start with, I am attaching two photos of the truck that I purchased from one of our fellow members on SS. The first is when it was recovered from Robins AFB where it had lived for the previous 10+ years after it's transfer there. The second pic is of the Behr OD repaint. Would this truck in everyone's opinion have only been originally a single color truck? Now if so, how does the repaint compare to the X14 original? The funny thing is that the first pic shows tan on the spare, but I can't find any tan even under the new paint. In fact, I just had to pull the fuel tank to have it cleaned and repaired and the factory paint was still behind the straps under the insulating strips and it was green and very close to the new Behr I think. You'll also notice that the hard top has a newer CARC appearing camo paint that does not match the rest of the truck. The build sheet shows a soft top from the factory, but maybe the USAF changed them to hardtops on base? It does have the heater and no NATO 24v plug just as the 87-89 trucks had. I'm also trying to figure out if there were any markings on the bumpers or doors ike a few of the USAF deuce pics I've found. If so, did the base trucks just use the truck numbers such as 89k 400 with the US Airforce and Official Use Only insgnia? Thanks for all of your time and help in this research! AB
View attachment 545976
View attachment 545977
My Air-Force truck also said it was a 1989 but the frame numbers and engine and differential and transfer case build dates where all 1988. Of course auto builders today would call that a 1989 model, but it still was built in 1988. As far as the hard top goes, I never heard of the Air-Force adding a hard top. They did add the NATO jump plugs at the bases though.

Last edited:

FloridaAKM

Welcome aboard, stow yer gear & prepare to get underway. I also have a '87 Deuce from WRAFB, but it was painted tan & undercoated black a year or so before they sent it to the DERMO yard; originally it was green camo patttern. It has a hardtop & 24v jump plug, they also added a solar charger to keep up the batteries. Did they demil your VIN tag? WRAFB generally demils all their turnin trucks like that for some reason, that I have seen, mine included. Nice looking trunk, by the way!

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
1. There were deuce built in 1989, but just like your 1968 Road Runner might have some individual components that were built in 1967 and installed on the 1968 model car, your 1989 truck may have some 1988 parts on it.

2. The majority of USAF 1987-1989 trucks I have encountered were originally solid green with black unit markings. This is an original paint truck I shot a lot of pictures of a few years ago. This is probably what your truck looked like new. This is also a WRAFB truck, although that's where it was surplussed from, don't know if that's where it was stationed/delivered:

IMAG1136.jpgIMAG1149.jpgIMAG1148.jpgIMAG1147.jpgIMAG1145.jpgIMAG1143.jpgIMAG1142.jpgIMAG1139.jpgIMAG1137.jpgIMAG1150.jpg

My '87 has identical hood markings but so far as I can tell, they did not letter the back of the bed. I believe a small "87K1526" was on the left side of the tailgate, which they covered up with black paint before releasing. The truck above had door markings, but I am not sure if mine did. Mine was originally solid green, with one tan repaint. I don't know what is under the tan paint on the doors.

IMAG0919.jpgIMAG1060.jpg

3. Tan spare
The military swaps a lot of stuff around. Your spare came off a tan truck.

4. Behr match
Hard to say but it's reasonably close. Your truck probably looked like this when new. This is a fresh CARC paint job with the correct waterbourne stuff. Your truck would have been the older non waterbourne but they look the same:
PICT0042.jpg

5. Soft top / slave port / heater
That's interesting. I've had 4 USAF trucks and all called for hardtops. All the ones I've encountered otherwise had hardtops and all the order forms I've seen called for hardtops. I wonder why they did that. Every order form I've seen called for the slave port delete and a heater. I have seen several trucks that definitely had slave ports added by the USAF.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome aboard, stow yer gear & prepare to get underway. I also have a '87 Deuce from WRAFB, but it was painted tan & undercoated black a year or so before they sent it to the DERMO yard; originally it was green camo patttern. It has a hardtop & 24v jump plug, they also added a solar charger to keep up the batteries. Did they demil your VIN tag? WRAFB generally demils all their turnin trucks like that for some reason, that I have seen, mine included. Nice looking trunk, by the way!
AB, I also got a 87 A2 out of WRAFB last year. Same lot as AKM's truck. All maint. records back to birth/delivery. Original engine is still installed. Painted tan, no slave, hardtop, solar charger, and the data plate has been cut/demilled. Replacement data plate on hand. Enjoy your truck, it is "one of the last", units procurred.

voltedge

Yep,
No data plate either, but all numbers on engine and drive train do match the build docs. Like others, I did get a replacement data plate that previous owner gave me. Frame numbers also match everything as well. Looking forward to meeting you clinto. I was told that you have a nice hood assist rod kit for these trucks that I need to check on. Any local GA monthly meet ups other than the Oct GA Rally? Thanks yall!

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Yep,
No data plate either, but all numbers on engine and drive train do match the build docs. Like others, I did get a replacement data plate that previous owner gave me. Frame numbers also match everything as well. Looking forward to meeting you clinto. I was told that you have a nice hood assist rod kit for these trucks that I need to check on. Any local GA monthly meet ups other than the Oct GA Rally? Thanks yall!
My data plate the VIN was removed as well. In the glovebox but mangled.

I wish I had Bbqrod's fab skills. You're thinking of this guy: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?123248-Hood-lift-kit-for-the-M35A2&highlight=

The Ga. MVPA has small monthly meetings but the attendance is very light and I am sad to say this, but it's not worth driving all the way from Madison out to Marietta for it. We occasionally put smaller things together like a trip to a bbq joint in Suwanee last month, but there really isn't a lot of stuff other than the Ga. Rally.