• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My first big truck. '91 m925a2. Have a few questions and need some help

emmittman

After talking about it for years and years we (my Dad and I) finally got a military truck. We started talking a bit more frequently about it so I started doing some research on here. All we knew was we wanted a 6x6 with a turbo diesel. There is a local guy who makes a business of selling these things. We drove down one day and checked him out and talked for a while. He has about 30 different 5 tons. After talking for a while we decided a 5 ton would suit our needs more than a 2.5. We wanted a truck with 8.3. I have owned a few Dodges with the smaller Cummins and they have all been great. We wanted a truck with the cargo/troop carrier bed, a winch, and the 8.3. He had 923 we liked but we were sure we needed a winch.

He let us drive his 923. What an awesome rig, but it still didn't have a winch.

Wound up finding a fella on here that had a 925 for sale that needed a little tinkering. Didnt have the troop seats, the winch didn't work from in the cab but he said it couldn't be turned on manually from under the truck, and the CTIS didn't work. He drove is over 6 hours from Atlanta area to north central Florida. Truck made the trip without issue except he said the last hour of his drive the alternator started showing that it wasn't charging.

We got the truck, everything was great. We tinkered around and figured out the winch situation (cable needed adjusted and one of the brackets was loose), but I haven't been able to figure out the alternator situatuion. I have tried searching everything...can't find an answer so here I go. I had my mechanic check and he said nothing is charging.

Where do I go from here? How to check things? Voltage Regulator? Where is it located? I have tried looking up the TMs...but I don't really know what I am looking for. The section on here for the 5 ton TMs don't show anything that I can see. I have tried searching "voltage regulator" "batteries not charging" "alternator problems" etc...with no luck.

Give me a hand please gentlemen!m925.jpg

k5ontherocks

Welcome and nice truck.
Sounds like a regulator issue. Its attached to the rear of the alternator, can be removed without removing the alternator, and from what i found are $90-$100 for a new one.

FloridaAKM

The 5 ton rides more cushioned than the Duece which is much more rough to drive around in; hence...cushy!

Great looking truck, I am looking @ one like it this week & might get it if the price is right! :jumpin:

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 5 ton rides more cushioned than the Duece which is much more rough to drive around in; hence...cushy!

Great looking truck, I am looking @ one like it this week & might get it if the price is right! :jumpin:
The 939 series are more chushy than a deuce . They have power steering , automatic transmission , full air brakes and a larger cab.

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 939 series are more chushy than a deuce . They have power steering , automatic transmission , full air brakes and a larger cab.
And a butt-load quieter with the 8.3.
And less engine heat in the cab.

emmittman

I looked at the truck yesterday and the voltage gauge is showing 22-ish volts. I read through the instructions and TMs you guys sent and am going to attempt to tackle it today

mcmullag

yeah the muffler helps with the cushiness. We were able to adjust up the voltage on my friends M925a2 as described on the 2nd page of that PDF above. An allen wrench takes off the cover cap on the alternator and then adjust with a screwdriver. One person in the cab can watch the needle change on the voltage meter on the dash as the other person slowly turns the screw.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks