• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My First CUCV M1009

HikerMan

Hey everyone been a lurker for awhile but I finally bought my first CUCV M1009 after looking for around two years!

I looked far and wide but eventually found a one just twenty min down the road.

1986 M1009 44,700 miles
I think the miles are original judging by the condition of the vehicle but can not be sure, does anyone know how?

Owned by a police department after the army and then a nice fellow who I bought it from after that for $2800

Truck runs great and has been dependable transportation thus far without doing too awful on fuel and has gone everywhere necessary out in the country so far :smile: Already added seat belts, replaced a headlight, replaced a tail light, fixed starter (aftermarket push button starter installed when I got it)

Questions....
-Small pocket of rust on passenger side floorboards, what is the best method to patch that?
-What is the cheapest price you have seen for a Goodyear Wrangler AT?

What maintenance should I do before a three hour drive to where I live from home?
-so far I am planning oil and filter change, air filter change, maybe transmission fluid, belts look fine, flush and replace coolant to make sure it has antifreeze...

Do I need to add an additive with ULSD?

more questions coming, thanks for looking everyone I can't wait to clean this truck up and get it back on the road :p

SGT LongT

Welcome [thumbzup] If it hasn't already been done do the "doghead starter relay mod" it is a life saver. For the rust pocket depending on the size you might be able to get away with using Naval Jelly or some other rust converter to stop the rust, patch the whole, and seal it away with rustoleum. Check the Training Manuals (TM) for the Preventive Maintenance Checks and Services (PMCS) and you should be fine with the drive. A little two stroke oil wouldn't hurt in the tank now and then as the ULSD doesn't have as much lubricity as the older diesel mixture. All in all I am loving my M1009 and can't stop working on her and making her mine :driver:

mikev

Steel Soldiers Supporter
"-What is the cheapest price you have seen for a Goodyear Wrangler AT?"

I wanted those tires too, but too much $$$...

I bought Firestone Destination A/T OWT 31/10.5R15 C109R for $140.99 list and after 10% military discount, paid $125.90 ea at Expert Tire... After fees and taxes, cost me $623.00 for all four of them.

Haven't installed them yet, so can't comment on performance (Tire Rack buyers rated them pretty high)...

Others will chime in with answers to that and your other questions.

Nice CUCV and be glad the Police didn't paint over the camo like a lot of departments do...

Welcome aboard and congrats on your purchase!

HikerMan

Thanks for the replies Mikev and LongT

SGT LongT...
I am not familiar with electric and I have seen the Doghead starter relay mod before but what exactly does it do in simple terms for someone who does not know much electric?

Also I am planning on using naval jelly like you said for everywhere but there, not too much rust overall tho I got lucky fortunately

Mikev, thanks for the reply on the tires, I was thinking about just buying one for the spare rim I have with no tire, I think eventually I will go with 33' tires for better MPG

SGT LongT

In simple terms a relay allows a lower voltage to control a much larger voltage. In our case it is the 12v key ignition to control the 24v starting system. This brings up a good point as some CUCV have been converted to 12v only so if you have only one battery or only one alternator (there should be two, one for each battery) you have a converted 12v system. The doghead mod uses a relay from a tractor that is OVER rated for the 24v starting system so it is cheap insurance as the OEM relay has been known to stick in the run position. This can cause wires to melt, starters to fry, and batteries to die. aua Follow the Doghead mod sticky and check to see if you still have the OEM relay.

Also try out the Advanced Search function as there is TONS and TONS and TONS of information available on this site that it will amaze :shock:and blow your mind :drool: