• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My First CUCV

Chosin Few

I recently purchased a 1984 CUCV from a local offroad enthusiast.

Purchased from a local towing auction, he intended to part out and keep the axles for an offroad project.

Always wanting a CUCV, I couldn't let this prime uncut/unmolested (ignoring axles) example to be scrapped out with only 48k original miles! Unfortunately he still kept the axles, but I plan on temporary swapping in a set from a blue GMC k25 parts truck (big hub d44 4.10 open/ 14bff 4.10 posi) and get er back on the road.

While I've grown up with many squarebodies, this is my first CUCV and I already know there is a lot to learn!

No rust, but plenty of dents (set up as a hunting rig with sleeping quarters in back) passenger door/rocker being the worst damage.

20200919_163606.jpg
20201011_224905.jpg

Starts right up and runs well, will have to wait for first test ride to see if there are any unseen issues.

Looking forward to finally using all the great info on these boards and possibly meeting up with any members in the Seattle Area!

german m1008

Steel Soldiers Supporter
........hello and welcome from Germany....... according to the VIN, I suspect it is an M1028 and have an NP 205 transfer case ( that would explain why someone needs the axles for an off road project ).
....... I wish you good luck and fun with the reconstruction

Chosin Few

........hello and welcome from Germany....... according to the VIN, I suspect it is an M1028 and have an NP 205 transfer case ( that would explain why someone needs the axles for an off road project ).
....... I wish you good luck and fun with the reconstruction
Thank you for the greetings.

This CUCV has the NP208 tcase. It was shattered and likely the reason for being an "abandoned vehicle" and sold at auction.

I have rebuilt the NP208 but I also have a NP203 that I am considering swapping in with the axles. Thoughts?

Barrman

That comes down to what you want to do with the truck. The 208 works great in all but the few 205 equipped CUCV's out there.

dependable

The NP 203 transfer case is from an older truck. I would not assume the splines are the same, also, they are full time 4WD, no ability to put front drive shaft in neutral. You are much better off with the 208. If it was a choice between a 205 and a 208, I'd go with the 205, but is completely different transfer case from the 203.

cucvmule

collector of stuff
Good Luck with the truck. The truck was a 1028 before the front posi D60 was taken. The rear 14 bolt full floater is relatively easy to replace with a civi rear, either a 3.73 or 4.10.. The front axle can be replaced with another civi or military axle also.

Stay with the military 208 32 spline transfer case. Or switch trans output shaft to 27, then switch to either 205 or 208 civi 27 spline.

Do not give up on finding the correct CUCV parts while you use other adequate replacement parts. The front Chevrolet D60 axles are out there, 800.00-1,500.00 depending on posi and dually hubs that will work for humvee rims. 14 35 16.5's will fit with front fender trimming. 285's fit with no problems.

cucvrus

I have a matched set of 1 ton Chevrolet axles in Pennsylvania for that truck. 4;10 gears. I removed them from a 1986 K30 township truck. I know it is cross country but it is worth mentioning. Good Luck.

IdahoPlowboy

I saved my 1028 in my avatar. The guy that was there to look at it before I was there was going to make a rock crawler out of a really nice 40k miles truck.

mtperkins

Congrats on the new CUCV. I laughed at your passenger door. Both of my pickups have the same dent! Let me tell you i wish i had 4.10 gears some days. I'm in the middle of a 37" tire swap

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks