• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My First Deuce "Bobbed" ADVICE

broadsword71

1972 Bobbed Deuce Multifuel. Just bought my first Military Vehicle! I am excited. First off I need to drive it about 600 miles. It runs very well and drives well. Anything I should watch or look over aside from particulars before the trip? I need advice on what to buy as a good idea for spare parts. It is the 24v system and thought having spare engine belts, filters, headlights, marker lights, tail etc...would be smart, unless they are readily available someplace. I am impatient by nature and always do my own wrenching. But I have no clue where to buy anything or if I'm being ripped off. Also because it is 24v...everything is 24v...correct? Headlights etc. And is there a convertor from 24v to 12v so I can charge my mobile phone on this big trip. The motor has been turned up. It runs flat out at 68 or so mph. About how many miles per gallon can I expect? I was thinking of running gasoline since its cheaper for the big trip and mixing 1 quart motor oil to every 10 gallons for luburcation. I been driving diesels all my life and it makes me squint thinking about putting gasoline in it. What say you guys? Really need some quick advice I leave in 7 days!

SEMPER FI
USMC
2000-2008

ChuckM

Take a multi-meter with you and check the voltage at the batteries. I recently had a regulator problem and was getting 32 volts to the batteries.....fried them and blew my high beams before I caught it.

Oh and congrats on the bobbed truck!!

broadsword71

I would run diesel not gas. Does it have a pyrometer I would take it easy on the hills, you don't want to burn her up before you get home. How much was it turned up??
Don't forget Gear Oil and DOT 5 brake fluid!!
This might help
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/...litmate-deuce-recovery-list-instructions.html
Roger all...what is dangerous reading on the pyrometer? It does not have, but I don't mind buying one and installing it. I know what it does but where do I hook it up at on this? I have no idea what is was turned up too. Bought it off a diesel mechanic that said I probably never service the motor aside from changing oil and filters. It really runs smooth an strong.

broadsword71

Take a multi-meter with you and check the voltage at the batteries. I recently had a regulator problem and was getting 32 volts to the batteries.....fried them and blew my high beams before I caught it.

Great point. In fact he said he just changed the batteries because it died. I need to check the Alt in fact right away make sure it's charging

broadsword71

One more question. I've built and owned lots of South FL swamp buggy's with tractor tires. I noticed you have a set on your BDeuce. I never bought new and always found them second hand. these deuce's lug pattern common among tractor wheels? I want the biggest ones she can handle!

ChuckM

One more question. I've built and owned lots of South FL swamp buggy's with tractor tires. I noticed you have a set on your BDeuce. I never bought new and always found them second hand. these deuce's lug pattern common among tractor wheels? I want the biggest ones she can handle!
My truck is 5 ton but no it's not common to find the wheel pattern on tractors. I cut the centers from my original 5 ton wheels and welded them in the tractor wheels.

steelandcanvas

First off I need to drive it about 600 miles. It runs very well and drives well. Anything I should watch or look over aside from particulars before the trip?
SEMPER FI
USMC
2000-2008
Yes, inspect and make sure the brake system is 100%, no leaks, MC topped off, rubber lines in good serviceable condition, no air leaks, etc. If it's not 100%, I wouldn't drive it around the block until the system is right.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
1972 Bobbed Deuce Multifuel. Just bought my first Military Vehicle! I am excited. First off I need to drive it about 600 miles. It runs very well and drives well. Anything I should watch or look over aside from particulars before the trip? I need advice on what to buy as a good idea for spare parts. It is the 24v system and thought having spare engine belts, filters, headlights, marker lights, tail etc...would be smart, unless they are readily available someplace. I am impatient by nature and always do my own wrenching. But I have no clue where to buy anything or if I'm being ripped off. Also because it is 24v...everything is 24v...correct? Headlights etc. And is there a convertor from 24v to 12v so I can charge my mobile phone on this big trip. The motor has been turned up. It runs flat out at 68 or so mph. About how many miles per gallon can I expect? I was thinking of running gasoline since its cheaper for the big trip and mixing 1 quart motor oil to every 10 gallons for luburcation. I been driving diesels all my life and it makes me squint thinking about putting gasoline in it. What say you guys? Really need some quick advice I leave in 7 days!

SEMPER FI
USMC
2000-2008

Fix the brakes before you leave.